January 4, 2013
ACLU of Arizona Career Opportunity
I. POSITION OVERVIEW
The American Civil Liberties Union of Arizona (ACLU-AZ) seeks a full-time Communications Associate to execute all internal and external communications for the ACLU of Arizona. Under the direction of the Program Director, the Communications Associate will be part of an exciting interdisciplinary team that advances our legal and policy work, strengthens the ACLU’s public profile and supports fund-raising efforts. The ideal candidate will have excellent written and verbal communications skills, experience in media relations and a fine-tuned sense of how public opinion is shaped. S/he should also have considerable experience utilizing social media and bring a strategic vision for how to execute online movement building. We are seeking a candidate who thrives in a fast-paced environment, has strong project management skills and pursues a strategic approach to promote and advance civil liberties.
II. ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and execute communications plans to elevate the ACLU of Arizona’s advocacy on a broad range of civil liberties issues, including immigrants’ rights, privacy, overincarceration and juvenile justice;
- Develop and create all ACLU-AZ publications, including writing, editing, proofreading and producing the ACLU of Arizona’s quarterly newsletter, annual reports, campaign fact sheets and other public education materials;
- Utilize social media strategies to mobilize target audiences, including ACLU members, stakeholders and the general public, and enhance these audiences’ commitment to the preservation of civil liberties;
- Develop and manage content on the ACLU of Arizona’s web site and draft and schedule ACLU email alerts on a timely basis;
- Draft news releases, op-eds, blog posts and other web-based content, letters to the editor, talking points and other press materials;
- Cultivate relationships with reporters, editors, producers, bloggers and other media professionals;
- Pitch news and feature stories to media outlets and follow up to garner maximum media coverage for ACLU issues;
- Develop human interest stories for litigation and legislative communications;
- Create targeted communications projects, ranging from radio programs to paid advertising campaigns, that include conceptualizing, researching, writing, as well as retaining outside consultants (designers, videographers, photographers, etc.);
- Organize press conferences and teleconferences and provide guidance on media outreach;
- Work with Program Director to develop and adhere to annual communications budgets and issue timely project descriptions and progress reports to the Board of Directors and funders, including compiling media clips and tracking media interviews, web hits and action alert subscribers;
III. EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field and a minimum of three years of public relations and media experience, including experience writing press materials;
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communications skills; demonstrated ability to handle complex and controversial issues and to translate information about them for broad audiences;
- Experience using social media to mobilize target audiences and build a following;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with diverse staff, including lawyers and other professionals, and to develop a strong partnership with the Executive and Program Directors;
- Demonstrated ability and success in pitching stories to news outlets, newspapers, TV networks and cable shows, radio and bloggers;
- Ability to proactively identify and cultivate key media contacts and outlets that lead to the placement of ACLU stories;
- Ability to work well under pressure and to reliably meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment;
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy; and strong project management and organizational skills;
- Demonstrated commitment to civil liberties, civil rights, and policy advocacy;
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, online communications tools and with an installed content management system such as Drupal to update website content;
- Experience with advocacy-oriented media campaigns;Experience organizing events including press conferences;
- Established contacts with reporters, editors, producers, bloggers and other media professionals;
- Experience utilizing public opinion research to frame issues and develop messages a plus;
- Fluency in Spanish a plus.
Salary based on experience. Excellent benefits include three weeks paid vacation; medical and dental insurance for staff members; life and long-term disability insurance; 401(k); and twelve paid holidays.
Send a cover letter, resume, three professional references and a writing sample to:
P.O. Box 17148
Phoenix, AZ 85011
Please list “Communications Associate” in the subject line. Applications accepted until position is filled.
Please indicate in your cover letter where you found this listing.
About the ACLU of Arizona:
The ACLU of Arizona, which was founded in 1959, has 6,300 members and supporters. Our offices are located in Phoenix and we have a staff of 13.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals.
The ACLU of Arizona comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union of Arizona and the ACLU Foundation of Arizona. Both the American Civil Liberties Union of Arizona and the ACLU Foundation of Arizona have the same overall mission, and share office space and employees.
The ACLU has two separate corporate entities in order to do a broad range of work to protect civil liberties.