February 28, 2013
Career Opportunity: DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR
The ACLU Foundation of Louisiana seeks experienced applicants for the position of Development Director to work from our office in New Orleans. The ACLU of Louisiana is an affiliate of the national American Civil Liberties Union, and the Foundation is our 501(c)(3) arm conducting our legal and educational work. We seek an experienced Development Director with the vision to build a major gifts program from the ground up and develop a renewable revenue stream necessary to sustain our work.. For more information about the work of the ACLU of Louisiana, visit our website at www.laaclu.org.
The ACLU-LA is poised to dramatically increase its programmatic initiatives that will have local as well as nationwide impact in furthering the protection and preservation of civil liberties. The Development Director will play an integral role in enabling the ACLU-LA to reach our goals.
A senior leadership position reporting to the Executive Director, the Development Director will develop and implement programs to raise funds for the ACLU and strengthen our relationships with our supporters. Working closely with the Executive Director, the Development Director will plan, supervise and execute the affiliate’s leadership and planned gifts programs and developing complimentary fundraising and donor cultivation strategies.
Major Gifts Program: Responsible for developing and leading a comprehensive annual work plan focusing on major gifts and including specific fund raising goals and targets for proposals, appeals and campaigns. Expand our major donor pool of $10,000+ gifts. This includes identification and qualification of major donor prospects and facilitating meetings and face-to-face solicitations for the Executive Director and select lay leaders, as well as direct solicitations. Ensure effective cultivation and training of select volunteer solicitors. Report to the board of directors on development efforts. Conduct strategic cultivation and outreach to prospective donors throughout the year. Please note that direct solicitation of gifts is required as an essential component of this position.
Planned giving: In coordination with the national ACLU Planned Giving Department, pursue strategies to expand membership in planned giving programs and cultivate existing members; market planned giving opportunities to ACLU supporters.
General staff leadership responsibilities: As a member of the senior leadership team, attend ACLU functions including the annual dinner, bimonthly Board meetings; represent the ACLU of Louisiana at events hosted by other organizations upon request of the Executive Director; and assist the Executive Director in maintaining a strong team spirit within the office.
- At least 3 years of demonstrated experience in nonprofit fundraising focusing on individual major gifts; particular weight will be given to candidates who have worked for advocacy and statewide organizations.
- Successful record of identifying, cultivating, and soliciting individual major donors.
- Ability to develop and implement a comprehensive resource development plan that is sustainable.
- Firm commitment to the mission and principles of the ACLU.
- Demonstrated leadership skills; experience in working collaboratively with others. Strong interpersonal skills and confidence making donor contacts and solicitations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with experience developing successful written donor communications and marketing materials.
- Superb organization skills; detail-oriented with strong follow-through and the ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Computer proficiency, including list/database management.
- Creative, result-oriented, self-starting, willing to learn, ability to handle and prioritize multiple activities and responsibilities.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Salary is commensurate with similarly situated nonprofit advocacy organizations, depending on experience and qualifications.
- Excellent benefits include: paid vacation and sick leave, health and dental insurance, life and disability coverage, pension and optional (unmatched) 401(k).
How to apply
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, writing sample (no more than 5 pages), and list of at least three professional references, including contact information for each. Submit applications to:
ACLU Foundation of Louisiana
PO Box 56157
New Orleans, LA 70156
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The ACLU of Louisiana is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We encourage applications from all interested persons, including people of color, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ persons.