April 24, 2013
EDITORIAL MANAGER [COMM-12]
AMERICAN CIVIL LIBERTIES UNION FOUNDATION
Communications Department, NY
For more than 92 years, the American Civil Liberties Union Foundation (ACLU), has been at the forefront of virtually every major battle for civil liberties and equal justice in this country. Principled and nonpartisan, the ACLU has offices in all 50 states, Washington, DC and Puerto Rico, and brings together the country’s largest team of public interest lawyers, lobbyists, communication strategists and members and activists in the advancement of equality, fairness, and freedom, especially for the most vulnerable in our society. The Communications Department of the ACLU’s National office in New York City invites applications for the full-time position of Editorial Manager.
The Communications Department is responsible for promoting the ACLU’s mission, its brand and its programs through the media, multi-faceted campaigns, web communications, publications and events. The Editorial Manager is a member of the Communications management team and reports directly to the Deputy Director of Communications and is primarily responsible for working collaboratively with a group of media professionals to accurately, effectively and proactively, communicate the initiatives of the ACLU.
The Editorial Manager will work to maintain the highest editorial standards for the day-to-day writing and longer-term editorial product of the Communications Department as well as provide expertise on its national media work.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manages and maintains the highest editorial standards for the day-to-day writing and longer-term editorial product of the Communications Department. This could include writing or editing reports, web content, blog posts, media materials, op-eds, talking points, text for video and podcasts, speeches and presentations.
- Works with Communications and other staff as appropriate, to develop or revise messaging for consistency and maximum impact.
- Writes and edits reports, in consultation with author(s) and the Communications staff.
- Provides writing assistance, editorial guidance and editing on other editorial products, as needed.
- Provides editorial expertise towards improving blog posts. Works with Communications digital team to develop new blog channels. Periodically performs ACLU website content review and provides recommendations for needed changes and updates.
- Writes and edits op-eds and provides guidance and assistance to the media team, as needed.
- Writes and edits features to be placed outlets that require long lead-time. This could include magazines, newspapers, and blogs. Pitches to major media outlets, as needed.
- Works to maintain high editorial content and standards on projects with outside vendors and consultants.
- Works on special projects relating to branding and elevating the profile of the ACLU as directed by the Director of Communications and Deputy Director of Communications.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree in a related field (e.g. journalism) preferred.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in a senior editorial and/or media relations position.
- Outstanding writing and editing skills; familiarity and a command of AP Style.
- Demonstrated experience writing op-eds that are published.
- Strong verbal communications skills; ability to communicate with staff at all levels within the organization as well as with external media contacts, vendors and other organizations.
- Collaborative work style and demonstrated ability to operate under pressure and within short deadlines.
- Familiarly with Congress and the Executive Branch strongly preferred.
- Familiarity and relationships with a wide variety of media outlets and journalists.
- Experience with breaking news and rapid response. Experience working with digital content and blogs.
- Strong Microsoft Office Suite skills. Experience with Vocus, a plus.
- Ability to successfully navigate and thrive in a complex organization.
- Experience in a non-profit organization of comparable complexity and scale is preferred.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects effectively and when needed, with urgency.
- Strong strategic planning abilities.
- Highest level of professionalism necessary for working with staff and media contacts at all levels and the ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- A demonstrated interest in and commitment to civil rights and/or civil liberties advocacy.
The ACLU offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a letter of interest (with salary requirements), a resume and three writing samples-including one published op-ed via email to hrjobsCOMM@aclu.org
- reference [COMM-12/ACLU-W]
in the subject line. Please note that this is not the general ACLU applicant email address. This email address is specific to Communications Department postings. In order to ensure your application is received please make certain it is sent to the correct e-mail address. You can expect to receive an automatic response that acknowledges the submission of application materials.
Alternatively, materials can be sent via regular mail to:
American Civil Liberties Union Foundation
125 Broad Street, 18th Floor
New York, NY 10004
Please indicate in your letter of interest where you learned of this career opportunity.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU reserves the right to change the description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status. We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact: HRJobsINCLReq@aclu.org.
Correspondence sent to the HRJobsINCLReq@aclu.org address that is not related to requests for accommodations will not be reviewed. Applicants should follow the instructions above regarding how to apply.
The ACLU comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation. Both the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation are national organizations with the same overall mission, and share office space and employees. The ACLU has two separate corporate entities in order to do a broad range of work to protect civil liberties. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “ACLU.”