August 9, 2012
Community Organizer Internship
Genesee Valley Chapter
The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is one of the nation's foremost defenders of civil liberties and civil rights. Founded in 1951 as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with six chapters and 50,000 members statewide. We are seeking a community organizer to assist with a variety of tasks and projects supporting the advocacy, legislative and policy work of the New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) in the Genesee Valley Chapter region, with an emphasis on promoting the NYCLU in the community, college engagement and coalition building.
- Assist in carrying out advocacy goals using tools such as petition collecting, tabling, crowd canvassing, letter-writing and lobbying.
- Supporting community events such as: invited speaking engagements, GVC board-sponsored events and participation in coalition events.
- Contacting and interacting with existing and potential community partners as a NYCLU liaison.
- Developing and helping regulate new media presence on Facebook and Twitter.
- Assisting with editing and writing content for Genesee Valley Chapter section of the NYCLU website.
- Additional special projects may be added as needed.
- Leadership skills – community or grassroots organizing experience a plus.
- Self-motivated and flexible, with the ability to work independently when necessary.
- Sharp written and oral communication skills – journalism or communications experience a plus.
- Passion for civil liberties, human rights and social justice.
Special Requirements: Some travel for events may be required, so ability to work a flexible schedule including some weekend and evenings is preferred.
Schedule/hours requirements: Flexible (10 hours/wk minimum preferred)
Length of assignment: One term or semester (based on academic calendar)
Appropriate fields of study or matching curriculums: Political Science, Public Policy, Women’s/Gender Studies, LGBTQ Studies, Pre-Law, Communication, Public Administration
Contact: KaeLyn Rich (585) 454-4334 or e-mail letter of interest and resume with the subject heading “Community Organizer Internship” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The NYCLU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and actively recruits women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals.