Executive Director-ACLU of Alabama
- Serve as an effective and visible spokesperson for the ACLU, articulating the organization’s’ history, programs, and mission. Represent the organization in the media, increase public awareness and broaden the organization’s reputation to strategic constituents.
- Establish a clear vision for the continued growth and expansion of the ACLU. Provide direction to guide programs that align with the organization’s vision.
- Lead the organization’s fund development efforts – utilize a staff-driven program model that focuses on increasing the number and capacity of major donors.
- Initiate and strengthen relationships and collaborations with organizations and leaders who are connected to the ACLU’s mission and purpose.
- Work in partnership with the board and staff to carry out policies approved by the Board of Directors.
- Ensure by effective management and leadership that the day-to-day operations are professionally and efficiently organized and administered
- Direct legal, legislative, and communications programs
- Oversee the organization’s financial operations; oversee the budgetary process and ensure that sound financial controls are in place
- Motivate and maintain a cohesive staff, ensuring that there is strong internal communication and coordination; recruit new staff when appropriate and evaluate performance
- Use technology to facilitate organizational management, fundraising, public education and lobbying
- Implement policies, programs, goals, and objectives as established by the board
- Work with the board to identify and help recruit new board members who will add diversity to the board and whose talents, interests and commitment will help to further the ACLU’s mission
- Regularly brief the board on the status of the organization
- Engage the board in meaningful participation to further the organization’s goals
- Proven managerial, problem-solving, strategic planning, fund development and financial management experience in the private, not-for-profit, or public sectors
- Credibility and experience to connect the ACLU to resources and opportunities outside the organization; a successful track record of raising money from a variety of sources, major donor experience is preferred
- Proven and successful track record in creating and implementing programs; experience creating partnerships and collaborations
- A history of communicating effectively in writing and verbally, including excellent public speaking skills for both formal and extemporaneous presentations; ability to represent the ACLU to a broad public
- A record of success working in partnership with a board and staff of diverse personalities and talents
- Ten years of professional experience and a Bachelor’s degree are minimum requirements; J. D. or M.P.A. preferred
- Personally committed to advancing the ACLU’s values, mission, goals and programs, with an understanding of the range of civil liberties issues and their implications
- A dedicated leader and representative who can translate vision into action; someone who is passionate about networking and representing the organization to critical constituencies including ACLU members, the public, government, and the media
- A person who is intelligent and inspiring; able to conceptualize, express ideas and anticipate and act on events which may create opportunities for the ACLU
- An entrepreneur who is creative, strategic, resourceful and politically astute; someone who understands the value of creating partnerships with other organizations as a way of accomplishing the ACLU’s goals
- An energetic person who can handle and prioritize multiple activities and responsibilities; a self-starter and finisher
- A team player who inspires collaboration and functions decisively; flexible and well-organized
- Outgoing and straightforward; one who shares information easily; listens as well as gives advice; respects the abilities of others
your cover letter where you found this job listing.
101 Bonita Drive
Homewood, AL 35209