December 24, 2012
Job announcement: Legal Assistant
The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), a national public interest organization, is the leading defender of civil liberties guaranteed by our nation’s Bill of Rights. The ACLU of Colorado, an affiliate of the national ACLU, is the state’s guardian of freedom that works to promote and defend civil liberties in Colorado. To achieve our mission, we manage legal, legislative and public education programs on a broad range of constitutional issues including discrimination, free speech, religious freedom, reproductive rights, LGBT rights, criminal justice and privacy. Founded in 1952, the ACLU of Colorado is located in Denver. To learn more about the work of the ACLU and the civil liberties principles we uphold, please visit www.aclu-co.org
The ACLU of Colorado seeks to hire a full-time Legal Assistant. The Legal Assistant provides clerical and administrative support for the Legal Director and two Staff Attorneys on the wide variety of constitutional law and civil liberties issues that comprise the ACLU’s docket. The Legal Assistant will join an enthusiastic group of individuals who are committed to their work and the organization. The position requires compassion, a sense of humor, and an ability to juggle multiple assignments with varying deadlines. The successful applicant demonstrates professionalism, superior organizational skills, careful attention to detail, and an ability to communicate well with co-workers and clients.
- Assist with correspondence and legal documents, by means of word processing, transcribing dictation, electronic transfer of documents, faxing and copying
- Maintain database of legal intakes received by ACLU
- Track progress of cases and investigations
- Process incoming and outgoing Legal Department mail
- Organize and maintain electronic and paper filing systems (litigation and administrative files)
- Gather and disseminate information in response to telephone and written inquiries
- Ensure routine maintenance of standard office equipment
- Make arrangements for teleconferences, meetings, depositions, and document deliveries
- File and serve pleadings in state and federal court
- Maintain calendaring of court deadlines
- Review documents and compile data and information from those documents
- Assist in sending out records requests and organizing the responses to those requests as they come into the office
- Additional duties as assigned by the Legal Director and Staff Attorneys.
- High school degree and two years of experience required
- Strong organizational skills and careful attention to detail
- Strong drive and initiative, with ability to manage time well in an environment of many concurrent assignments and deadlines
- A willingness and desire to jump in and help out on any project, to learn new skills, and to take ownership of assignments
- Strong skills and experience working with computers, including advanced use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Adobe Acrobat, and the Internet; skills in software trouble-shooting desirable
- Knowledge of correct English spelling, grammar and punctuation required
- Knowledge of legal terms, documents, court processes desired;
- Obtain and maintain qualification as notary public
- Ability to operate standard office equipment
- Commitment to civil liberties principles and the goals of the ACLU
- Knowledge of Spanish a significant plus
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary is based on experience. Benefits include paid vacation, medical and dental insurance, pension plan, life and long-term disability insurance.
Send a cover letter, resume, and references in an email (with “Legal Assistant” in the subject line) to firstname.lastname@example.org
. No phone calls please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, which will not be before January 15, 2013.
The ACLU of Colorado is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified persons including women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ individuals.