October 25, 2012
Position: Office Manager (1.0 FTE)
Location: Washington D.C.
Salary: Commensurate With Experience
The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of the Nation’s Capital is an affiliate of a nationwide non-profit, non-partisan organization devoted toworking daily in the courts, legislatures and communities to defend individual rights and personal freedoms guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights.
Office Manager duties and responsibilities:
- Answer the telephone and responds to inquiries from the public, including legal intake
- Handle photocopying and reproductions for large mailings, events, and other member communications
- Open and process mail including electronic transmitted materials
- Handle procurement of office supplies, office equipment, and other services to meet office needs
- Ensure all office equipment is functional, and perform minor repairs, as appropriate
- Establish and maintain files and records
- Ensure office compliance with OSHA and DC workplace safety standards
- Train and coordinate the work schedule of all volunteers and interns to ensure appropriate coverage of the reception desk and other assignments
- Serve as primary contact with building management related to the lease, utilities, operations and janitorial services
- Serve as information technology support internally and the primary liaison with our contracted vendors
- Manage website functions
- Serve as the office liaison to the National ACLU on matters such as the intranet (LOOP), marketing, and branding standards
- Compose brochures, newsletters, and PowerPoint presentations as assigned
- Handle the assembly, preparation and distribution of monthly meeting packets for the Board of Directors
- Implement the annual elections for the Board of Directors, and supports the work of the Nominations Committee
- Review and process staff expenses and check requests for Executive Director review/approval
- Handle all bank deposits, and provide appropriate copies to Development Director and Accountant
- Maintain Accounts Payable/Accounts Receivable and check disbursements via QuickBooks
- Reconcile banks statements monthly and maintain accurate accounting files
- Produce standard financial statements and reports via QuickBooks, as needed
- Assist in budget preparation
- Provide administrative assistance to the Executive Director
- Perform logistical functions as assigned by the Executive Director
- Bachelors Degree
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher
- Two or more years of experience as an office/business manager of a medium-sized office
- Two or more years of accounting experience using Intuit QuickBooks Pro preferred
- Ability to learn and communicate ACLU’s structure, policies, and procedures
- Ability to work well under pressure, respond to emergencies, and solve routine office problems independently
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects and adapt to changes in priorities
The ACLU-NCA offers a generous, comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience.
Applicants will be accepted until November 16, 2012. Telephone and walk-in inquiries are not permitted. Interested persons should submit a cover letter, résumé, and three references to:
Ms. Benétta M. Standly
ACLU of the Nation’s Capital
4301 Connecticut Ave., NW, Suite 434
Washington DC 20008
Please put position title in the subject line of your email or cover letter.
Please indicate in your cover letter where you learned of this career opportunity
The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) is a national 501(c) (4) public interest organization devoted to the defense of the Bill of Rights. The ACLU of the Nation’s Capital is the Washington, DC affiliate of the ACLU. The ACLU of the Nation’s Capital is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages employment of women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and lesbians, bisexual, transgender, and gay men.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU-NCA reserves the right to change the job description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.