Associate Director, Affiliate Digital Communications [ASD-23]
American Civil Liberties Union Foundation
Affiliate Support & Advocacy Department, NY
For nearly 100 years, the ACLU has been our nation’s guardian of liberty, working in courts, legislatures, and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach. With more than a million members, activists, and supporters, the ACLU is a nationwide organization that fights tirelessly in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and Washington, D.C., for the principle that every individual’s rights must be protected equally under the law, regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability or national origin.
The ACLU’s Affiliate Support and Nationwide Initiatives office located in New York City seeks applicants for a full-time Associate Director, Affiliate Digital Communications.
The Associate Director, Affiliate Digital Communications guides and advises affiliates on communicating through digital channels ― including email marketing and affiliate web sites ― ensuring brand cohesion and positive experiences for digital audiences that mirror the quality of national office communications. By raising the level of affiliate communications and coordinating it with national efforts, the ACLU benefits from a consistent quality of communications across the country, regardless of which arm of the ACLU is supplying information to our shared audiences. The Associate Director, Affiliate Digital Communications reports to the Director of Affiliate Marketing and Communications.
The Associate Director, Affiliate Digital Communications maintains a shared nationwide email outreach platform and online marketing support program known as the Community Action Network (CAN), which serves participating ACLU affiliates. The CAN Program, which launched in spring 2008, offers a system for sharing member and activist email lists between the national ACLU office and its 53 affiliate offices. The CAN Services Team acts as a small in-house agency, handling production of email marketing messages and providing consultative services to affiliates to build their competence in email outreach.
The role took on a new initiative in 2014, building an affiliate web template to provide the framework for well-branded, mobile responsive affiliate web sites. The Associate Director, Affiliate Digital Communications’ responsibilities include working with vendors to maintain and enhance the template and design migration strategies, training affiliates to use migration tools and the Drupal content management system, guiding affiliates in populating their new sites, and checking sites for quality assurance.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with ACLU staff in the Development, Communications, Information Technology, Advocacy and Affiliate Support & Nationwide Initiative Departments, to integrate affiliate email programs and web sites with the national office’s programs.
- Directly supervise Affiliate Digital Production Coordinators.
- Utilize Zendesk system to resolve tickets generated from affiliates for support and production needs.
- Manage digital production for affiliates in collaboration with the Affiliate Digital Production Coordinators. Digital production includes set-ups for emails, advocacy alerts, surveys, event registration pages, landing pages, and list segmentation to reach appropriate audiences with relevant messages. Ensure that affiliate messages meet ACLU technical standards and resolve in commonly used browsers and email clients.
- Manage the CAN Calendar on the ACLU intranet to ensure national and affiliates are abiding by program regulations on email frequency and ensuring a positive experience for subscribers.
- Ensure that affiliate email messages comport with CAN-SPAM email compliance laws.
- Maintain the CAN page on the ACLU intranet including providing and maintaining current marketing information about the program.
- Oversee development of a training program and provide ongoing coaching to affiliates regarding ACLU standards and use of email marketing and web template technology.
- Manage quality control of affiliates’ messages. Develop written standards for editorial quality of email messages. Provide copy-editing and usability services.
- Facilitate regular best practice review conference calls and/or in-person sessions with system participants. Document best practices and share with affiliate communications staff.
- Develop and maintain reporting to monitor and analyze metrics to gauge success of individual messages and overall effectiveness.
- Work with IT and vendor support staff, on behalf of affiliates, to maintain high-functioning email marketing tech systems.
- Oversee implementation of each new affiliate web site built on the template, providing training to affiliates and managing their entry into the template program.
- Provide ongoing support to affiliates on how to use the web template tools and manage affiliates’ requests for system enhancements.
- Continually evaluate the efficacy of the web template program, identifying problems and ensuring they are corrected, as well as identifying new features to ensure template sites are user friendly for affiliate staff and engaging for site visitors.
- Identify and implement social media strategy to align affiliate email marketing and online advocacy campaigns with ACLU supporter engagement goals.
- Assist affiliates in establishing online fundraising processes and the set up and testing of donation pages.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree required. In any field of study?
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in digital marketing, including hands-on work with popular marketing programs and content management systems such as Selligent Message Studio, Salesforce.com, CapWiz and Drupal.
- Strong project management skills, evidenced by written plans and schedules for implementing and updating programs.
- Familiarity with ZenDesk or other customer support systems.
- Solid understanding of Internet tools, processes and techniques for membership development, advocacy campaigns, list building and social networking.
- Experience with online marketing and cross-channel marketing in a multi-affiliate or federated organization.
- Proficient in HTML and coding without use of WYSIWYG editor. Experience adjusting graphics for use in HTML production. Knowledge of cross-browser, cross-platform issues.
- Proven ability to write for an online audience.
- Good verbal, writing and interpersonal communications skills that can be applied to promoting a new program, building consensus and delivering constructive feedback.
- Detail oriented with strong follow-through, demonstrated ability to solve problems, ability to meet tight deadlines and manage resources effectively.
- Non-profit advocacy experience is preferred.
- Commitment to the mission of the ACLU.
The ACLU offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within the parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should send a cover letter (including salary requirements) and resume via email to hrjobsASD@aclu.org. Reference: [ASD-23/ACLU-W] in the subject line In order to ensure your application is received please make certain it is sent to the correct e-mail address.
Please indicate in your cover letter where you learned of this career opportunity.Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU reserves the right to change the job description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions.
We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact:email@example.com. Correspondence sent to this email address that is not related to requests for accommodations will not be reviewed. Applicants should follow the instructions above regarding how to apply.
The ACLU comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation. Both the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation are national organizations with the same overall mission, and share office space and employees. The ACLU has two separate corporate entities in order to do a broad range of work to protect civil liberties. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “ACLU.”