The American Civil Liberties Union of Minnesota is looking for a Communications Associate to join our team! The Communications Associate will be a dynamic professional who is looking for a meaningful opportunity in a proven and vibrant organization that makes profound differences in the lives of individuals. Our mission is timely, our staff is committed to protecting civil liberties, and we are poised to succeed, with a growing community of more than 30,000 donors and members.
At the ACLU of Minnesota, we take pride in our reputation of more than 65 years of fighting the hard fight for people whose civil liberties are threatened or denied. And now — as we enlarge our staff to face the current threats to our civil liberties — is the ideal time to join us!
Working alongside the Communications Director, the Communications Associate will assist indeveloping strategic and coordinated digital media plans to elevate the legislative, legal and community advocacy work of the ACLU, help maintain and execute the ACLU’s brand identity, and to respond effectively to breaking news on the appropriate platforms.
The position is based in our Minneapolis office, providing access to the best that the Twin Cities area offers.
Our Communications Associate will:
Assist in strategy by:
- Collaborating with the Communications Director to develop strategic communications priorities and striving to keep communications work focused on and in line with those priorities.
Manage social media by:
- Advancing the ACLU of Minnesota’s social media and email advocacy presence and audience.
- Creating and administering multimedia content, including blog posts, advocacy emails, event pages, action alerts, online graphics, online advertising, videos, photography, audio clips, and social media posts across multiple platforms.
- Planning, scheduling and implementing a digital communications plan and calendar for website content, promotional and advocacy emails, and social media.
- Serving as point person for email campaigns, including building pages, action alerts, creating assets using publishing tools, running reports, and building and testing e-mails.
- Collecting, analyzing and reporting analytics from ACLU-MN digital campaigns including social media engagement, online action conversions, email open rates, website visits and more.
- Monitoring social media trends and emerging practices. Evaluate social media platforms for adoption by ACLU-MN and implement them.
Be the point person for graphic design by:
- Designing eye-catching digital assets and published materials such as newsletters, signs, fliers, infographics, reports, fact sheets, postcards, swag and more using Adobe design suite.
Manage the organization's website by:
- Maintaining and creating content including videos, photos and stories for the ACLU of Minnesota website(s) (www.aclu-mn.org) and social media.
- Contributing to the ACLU-MN’s online blog including sourcing stories, creating content and ensuring content is published regularly.
Support the communications department by:
- Helping supervise volunteers and interns.
- Tracking and compiling news coverage analytics and helping monitor breaking news coverage for civil rights and civil liberties issues.
- Managing the organization’s inventory of promotional materials for public events and outreach.
- Maintaining and updating press distribution lists of reporters and media outlets for press releases and advisories.
- Assisting with media outreach as needed.
- Providing in-person technical assistance at events.
- Other tasks and responsibilities as assigned.
Our new Communications Associate will have these essential attributes:
- Excellent verbal, written, research and interpersonal communication skills.
- Detail-oriented and accurate with strong follow through, a demonstrated ability to solve problems, and the ability to meet tight deadlines and manage resources effectively in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to work creatively and collaboratively as part of a team.
- A keen eye for graphic design and visual storytelling, with experience creating graphics, and taping and editing video. Photography and audio experience is desirable.
- Excellent computer and internet skills, including MS Office and Drupal or similar CMS programs.
- Proficiency with the Adobe design suite, especially Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator;
- Basic proficiency with HTML and email coding.
- Familiarity and comfort with communications approaches that value people-centered, inclusive language and storytelling.
- A personal approach that values individuals and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstance, and the ability to work with diverse individuals within the organization and broader community.
- A diplomatic touch and a sense of humor.
- A Bachelor’s Degree or commensurate experience and
- A minimum of two to four years of relevant communications experience, preferably with an advocacy-oriented, non-profit organization.
Finally, our next Communications Associate will bring a commitment to the mission and goals of the ACLU of Minnesota, along with a personal dedication to a professional team that will bring us into our next 65 years as Minnesota’s guardian of liberty.
Salary is commensurate with experience within the range of $45,000 - $50,000 per year. We offer excellent benefits, including health insurance, life and long-term disability insurance; a 401(k) plan with employer contribution; and sick, vacation, and holiday leave.
Are You Ready to Help Lead Us into the Future?
Submit a letter of interest; a resume or C.V.; two relevant professional writing samples of no longer than five pages; a portfolio PDF or portfolio link showing several examples of graphic design work; and three professional references, identifying their relationship to you and including their email addresses and phone numbers. Also, please let us know how you learned of this career opportunity.
All attachments must be in Word or .pdf format.
Applications will be accepted only until April 26. If this job sounds interesting, please apply immediately!
ACLU-MN is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. ACLU-MN encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or record of arrest or conviction.
ACLU-MN undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions.We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact: firstname.lastname@example.org. (Correspondence sent to this email address that is not related to requests for accommodations will not be reviewed.)