Communications Associate, North Dakota Chapter of the ACLU [SD-07]
American Civil Liberties Union Foundation
North Dakota/South Dakota
For nearly 100 years, the ACLU has been our nation’s guardian of liberty, working in courts, legislatures, and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach. With more than a million members, activists, and supporters, the ACLU is a nationwide organization that fights tirelessly in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and Washington, D.C., for the principle that every individual’s rights must be protected equally under the law, regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU of North Dakota seeks a dynamic full-time Communications Associate who has a knack for writing and an eye for storytelling to support the organization’s rapidly expanding communications program across South Dakota, North Dakota, and Wyoming. The ACLU-ND is part of a three state National Chapter defending civil liberties and civil rights in South Dakota, North Dakota, and Wyoming through litigation, legislation, and public education.
Reporting to the Communications Director in Sioux Falls, the Communications Associate will support the Director in developing and executing communications strategies that advance civil liberties across the three states.
The person can be based in Fargo, North Dakota, or Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- In collaboration with Communications Director, develop and execute communications strategies and tactics to advance state legislative and advocacy initiatives for North Dakota and Wyoming.
- Provide support for activist engagement tied to advocacy campaigns, legislative activities, or building organizational capacity
- Work collaboratively with colleagues across ND, WY, and SD staying well informed of organizational priorities
- Create content for ACLU supporters that is informative, timely and relevant.
- Work with Communications Director to draft and disseminate talking points on ACLU issues to policy directors and executive director.
- Monitor local, state, and national news developments and prepare editorials on behalf of the ACLU.
- Create digital content and print materials that feature eye-catching graphics and shareable images.
- Assist with preparing clients, litigators, state policy advocates, and other spokespeople for media appearances.
- Build and sustain constructive working relationships with key individuals – reporters, producers, editors, editorial boards – in print, broadcast, and digital media outlets throughout North Dakota to increase opportunities for media coverage of the ACLU of North Dakota’s work.
- Write, edit, and produce compelling press releases.
- Expand and organize the ACLU of North Dakota’s media list; segment by interest, region, etc. Track earned media and maintain electronic clipping file.
- Assist with outreach opportunities and events; coordinate logistics and volunteer assistance, staff events, and follow-up.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of three years’ communications, preferably in the nonprofit advocacy environment;
- Excellent verbal, writing and interpersonal communications skills; ability to communicate complex issues persuasively and professionally to varied audiences including media, policymakers, members and activists;
- Proven experience writing op-eds, blog posts, and social media posts;
- Must possess strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- The ability to take initiative and see tasks through to completion
- Must demonstrate commitment to high quality standards for all communication materials;
- Basic experience with Photoshop or other image editing software;
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing the ACLU’s values, mission, goals.
- Availability and willingness to attend events as needed;
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team in distant office locations;
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines while demonstrating grace under pressure.
The ACLU offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter and resume to hrjobsSD@aclu.org. Reference [SD-07] in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Please indicate where you learned of this job posting.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU reserves the right to change the job description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions.
We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact:firstname.lastname@example.org. Correspondence sent to this email address that is not related to requests for accommodations will not be reviewed. Applicants should follow the instructions above regarding how to apply.
The ACLU comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation. Both the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation are national organizations with the same overall mission, and share office space and employees. The ACLU has two separate corporate entities in order to do a broad range of work to protect civil liberties. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “ACLU.”