Digital Organizing Strategist [PAAU-9/12]
American Civil Liberties Union Foundation
Political Action & Advocacy Unit, Washington DC
For nearly 100 years, the ACLU has been our nation’s guardian of liberty, working in courts, legislatures, and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach. With more than a million members, activists, and supporters, the ACLU is a nationwide organization that fights tirelessly in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and Washington, D.C., for the principle that every individual’s rights must be protected equally under the law, regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU is launching a grassroots organizing program to put the collective power of the American people behind the ACLU’s campaigns to defend our civil liberties under the Trump administration. Reporting to the Digital Organizing Director, the Digital Organizing Strategist will work within the new grassroots advocacy team to mobilize our volunteers and grow our base of support. The ideal candidate possesses knowledge of grassroots organizing with expertise in digital organizing tools such as Slack, Relay, and Maestro to engage our volunteers in key campaign moments across our issue priorities. The Digital Organizing Strategist will work closely alongside a team of other digital organizers, the advocacy department, the digital team, and others in the institution. This position will be located in our Washington, D.C. office. This is a one-year limited duration position with a possibility of extension.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Generate compelling campaign actions and tactics to cultivate engagement across our volunteer base.
- Lead volunteer trainings, provide support and guidance for volunteer events and actions, and develop close relationships with super-volunteers using tools such as Slack, Relay, and other platforms.
- Produce emails and texting campaigns and lead advocacy calls to effectively mobilize and recruit volunteers.
- Collaborate on the management of the program website and other digital channels.
- Collaborate in the coordination of partnerships with other grassroots groups.
- Implement digital organizing strategy to build online visibility and engagement through social media platforms.
- Produce design and graphics for compelling social media content for campaign actions and tactics.
- Administer all social media accounts and ensure up-to-date content.
- Develop support materials and social media guides for volunteer-led events and actions trainings.
- Deploy resources based on analytics and data-driven approaches for paid promotions of events and content.
- Conduct training sessions for staff on integrating social media strategy with organizing plans.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance, record of arrest or conviction.
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree and 3 or more years of experience in digital organizing and/or digital production, preferably in a campaign environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate with team members and volunteers, both near and far.
- Solid experience in social media tools and strategies
- Adept at responding to issues that arise quickly
- Expertise with advocacy CRM tools like ActionKit, Blue State Digital, etc.
- Experience in grassroots or political organizing.
- Proficient with Adobe Creative Suite.
- Strong work ethic.
- Ability to pay consistent attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Ability to demonstrate grace under pressure.
- Commitment to the mission of the ACLU.
The ACLU offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within the parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter, resume and a relevant writing sample to: hrjobsPAAU@aclu.org – reference [PAAU-9/12] in the subject line.
Please indicate in your cover letter where you learned of this career opportunity.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU reserves the right to change the description and/or posting at any time without advance notice. Please be advised that the Department of Education has determined that employment in this position at the ACLU does not qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions.
We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact:firstname.lastname@example.org. Correspondence sent to this email address that is not related to requests for accommodations will not be reviewed. Applicants should follow the instructions above regarding how to apply.
Please be advised that the Department of Education has determined that that employment at the ACLU does not qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
The ACLU comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation. Both the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation are national organizations with the same overall mission, and share office space and employees. The ACLU has two separate corporate entities in order to do a broad range of work to protect civil liberties. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “ACLU.”