Engineering Manager [PTEC-26]
American civil liberties union
Product & Technology Department, New York, NY
For nearly 100 years, the ACLU has been our nation’s guardian of liberty, working in courts, legislatures, and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBTQ community, advancing racial justice, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties and civil rights cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach. With more than one million members, activists, and supporters, the ACLU is a nationwide organization that fights tirelessly in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and Washington, D.C., for the principle that every individual’s rights must be protected equally under the law, regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, record of arrest or conviction.
The Product & Technology Department (P-Tech) of the National office in New York City is seeking applicants for the full-time position of Engineering Manager which reports to the Director of Engineering.
The Engineering Manager is responsible for mentoring and managing an engineering team composed of software engineers who own all of the critical systems managing constituents and constituent-outreach activities. The Manager will drive this engineering team forward by defining and growing an engineering culture that is inclusive, innovative, dependable, and efficient. The role will also lead this engineering team to help the organization reach its goals and support its advocacy, fundraising, and communications initiatives.
The engineering manager, will help establish a best-in-class engineering culture and be the hands-on manager to grow and challenge a diverse and talented group of engineers. Additionally, the position will partner with product, design, data, and other technical leaders in the organization to scale the team in building best-in-class software. The team includes backend engineers who are responsible for building and maintaining a robust data architecture to support in-house analytics requirements, a team of web engineers who work on ACLU.org and other web-related products, and a team of engineers focused on a massive Salesforce integration to drive management of ACLU constituents across many products & data sources.
The right candidate will have had several years’ experience managing engineers, partnering with a high-performing group of product and data leaders, and acting as a leader in a technical organization to continuously ship product improvements and diligently measure impact.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead a team of software engineers by creating a high-performing engineering culture built on accountability and quality
- Foster an inclusive culture across a diverse team of both co-located and remote engineers
- Understand and grow each engineer’s capabilities in-line with their career goals and the goals of the broader Product & Technology team
- Define and roll-out an engineering mission, vision, and skills matrix
- Recruit, hire, and retain diverse engineering talent as the ACLU Product & Technology team grows
- Accelerate and optimize developer velocity by helping to implement best practices and owning results
- Create a best-in-class QA plan and advocate for the resources and budget needed to be able to satisfy all testing needs
- Partner with product leaders to execute the product roadmap with confidence, including mapping projects to people and leading agile meetings in order to deliver on-time and with high quality
- Improve the management model used with vendors who augment the ACLU’s engineering team on key initiatives
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability, socio-economic circumstance, and record of arrest or conviction
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- 2+ years of experience managing a team of engineers in a product or engineering-driven organization
- Prior experience in software development or proven ability to work side-by-side with engineers
- Prior experience in defining an engineering skills matrix and leveling engineering teams
- Experience and comfort in performance management of engineers
- Prior experience in defining engineering culture best practices (engineering vision, mission, values, etc.) and creating an engineering culture rooted in accountability, quality, inclusivity, and impact
- Experience creating and deploying engineering processes and best practices (especially through working groups and other collaborative methodologies)
- Strong experience in recruiting, hiring, and retaining diverse engineering talent
- Familiarity with best-in-class technical practices to build high-quality and impactful software
- Strong familiarity with modern frontend and backend development practices
- Sharp problem-solving skills
- Excellent organizational and communication skills (written, verbal, and presentation)
- Passion for civil liberties and civil rights, especially regarding privacy and the fight against discrimination
The ACLU offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter and resume/CV to: email@example.com. Reference [PTEC-26] in the subject line.
Please indicate in your cover letter where you learned of this career opportunity.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU reserves the right to change the description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
The Department of Education has determined that employment in this position at the ACLU does not qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions.
We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact: firstname.lastname@example.org. Correspondence sent to this address that is not related to requests for accommodations will not be reviewed. Applicants should follow the instructions above regarding how to apply.
The ACLU comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation. Both the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation are national organizations with the same overall mission, and share office space and employees. The ACLU has two separate corporate entities in order to do a broad range of work to protect civil liberties. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “ACLU.”