Gift Planning Coordinator [DEVF-76]
American Civil Liberties Union Foundation
Development Department, New York, NY
For nearly 100 years, the ACLU has been our nation’s guardian of liberty, working in courts, legislatures, and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, advancing racial justice, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties and civil rights cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach. With more than one million members, activists, and supporters, the ACLU is a nationwide organization that fights tirelessly in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and Washington, D.C., for the principle that every individual’s rights must be protected equally under the law, regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, record of arrest or conviction.
The Development Department of the ACLU’s National Office in New York City is seeking a full-time Gift Planning Coordinator.
The Gift Planning Coordinator will report directly to the Deputy Director for Gift Planning and will provide support for the planned gift Associate Directors.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Compose, edit and proofread communications for external donor audiences.
- Remain informed about, and assist in providing, written updates to donors on relevant news and activities.
- Generate, update, analyze and distribute reports.
- Serve as a first point of contact for Gift Planning unit; handle internal and external calls, mail and email.
- Update and maintain database records and paper files.
- Manage staff travel calendars, and assist in the arrangement and coordination of travel plans and the preparation of expense reports.
- Conduct research on donors and prospects as necessary.
- Generate life income and other gift illustrations from planned gift software.
- Coordinate tasks and projects for the Deputy Director and Associate Directors within the Gift Planning Department.
- Schedule and organize Gift Planning unit meetings.
- Undertake special projects within the Development Department, as needed.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Knowledge of or desire to learn about, the gift planning field is desirable.
- Ability to apply gift planning ideas and techniques to donor cases.
- Demonstrates the interest, ability and assertiveness in undertaking the responsibilities of the position.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects; superior attention to detail with strong follow-through.
- Ability to speak and write effectively to convey clarity, specificity, and exactness, being mindful of the intended audience.
- Strong proofreading and editing skills.
- Capability to work collaboratively, share assigned resources and information, and serve as a point of reference for other staff to meet goals/deadlines within the expected timeframe.
- Ability to exercise good judgment about who needs what information and how to deliver it most effectively.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to represent the organization to donors as well as interface with all levels of staff at the national office, the affiliates and volunteers while maintaining tact, diplomacy and confidentiality.
- Proactively approaches assigned as well as unassigned tasks and projects.
- Consistently sees work through to completion.
- Anticipates obstacles and suggests or performs alternative courses of action to accomplish the desired results for difficult projects.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, i.e. Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook and Internet usage. Experience with databases preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience preferred.
- Commitment to the mission of the ACLU.
The ACLU offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within the parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter (with salary requirements), a resume and a writing sample (2-3 pages in length) to hrjobsDEVF@aclu.org. Reference [DEVF-76/ACLU-W] in subject line. Please note that this is not the general ACLU email address. This email address is specific to Development department postings. In order to ensure your application is received please make certain it is sent to the correct e-mail address. You can expect to receive an automatic response that acknowledges the submission of application materials.
Please indicate in your cover letter where you learned of this career opportunity.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU reserves the right to change the job description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions.
We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact:firstname.lastname@example.org. Correspondence sent to this email address that is not related to requests for accommodations will not be reviewed. Applicants should follow the instructions above regarding how to apply.
The ACLU comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation. Both the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation are national organizations with the same overall mission, and share office space and employees. The ACLU has two separate corporate entities in order to do a broad range of work to protect civil liberties. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “ACLU.”