Manager, Prospect Data & Development [DEVF-55]
American Civil Liberties Union Foundation
Development Department, NY
For nearly 100 years, the ACLU has been our nation’s guardian of liberty, working in courts, legislatures, and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, advancing racial justice, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties and civil rights cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach. With more than 1.5 million members, activists, and supporters, the ACLU is a nationwide organization that fights tirelessly in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and Washington, D.C., for the principle that every individual’s rights must be protected equally under the law, regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, record of arrest or conviction.
The Development Department of the ACLU’s National Office in New York City is seeking applicants for a full-time Manager, Prospect Data & Development.
Reporting to the Associate Director, Mid & Major Gifts, the Prospect Data & Development Manager will be responsible for managing the identification, movement and tracking of all donors and prospects in the nationwide major gifts pipeline, which encompasses all donors who can give $1,000 to over $1 million. The position will also manage the donor data and reporting for the Mid & Major Gifts department.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Implement and manage a moves management system for all national and affiliate major gifts donors and prospects that drives the ACLU’s donor pipeline
- Work collaboratively with other units at the national office and with affiliate fundraising programs to ensure that donor data and portfolio tracking is cohesive and consistent across the enterprise, but also flexible enough to be used by different programs of varying goals and sizes
- Identify reporting needs of Mid & Major Gifts department and work with Analytics team to create reports that will allow national and affiliate fundraisers to understand the current state and health of their prospecting and solicitation programs
- Prepare all reports and tracking information for regular meetings between national office and affiliates related to major gifts portfolio tracking
- Create, implement and distribute regular reports on issues relating to pipeline and program health, including but not limited to stage aging, churn, retention, vulnerable donors, prospect queues
- Proactively identify prospects for various ACLU prospect development programs. Establish and maintain a way to manage new donors and prospects who enter the pipeline
- Manage basic prospect research that is completed within Mid & Major Gifts program
- Work with database team to ensure that the database is properly supporting moves management needs across national and affiliate offices
- Ensure that all donor information is managed in a central database, in a manner that emphasizes the highest standards of data integrity
- Implement cultivation and stewardship efforts, such as high-touch telemarketing programs, to advance donor relationships
- Manage annual donor listing process for Mid & Major Gifts department
- Assist the Mid & Major Gifts department with other duties as assigned
- Demonstrate a commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion internally and externally with a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance
- Commit to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Fundraising experience in a non-profit environment, ideally at an organization with scale and complexity comparable to the ACLU
- Experience managing fundraising data
- Experience with donor prospecting and major gifts programs preferred
- Exceptional analytic skills
- Ability to interface professionally with all levels of staff at the national office and affiliates; confidentiality is essential
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects; superior attention to detail with strong follow through
- Initiative, self-motivation and ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Flexibility and a willingness to take on new tasks as the responsibilities of the position evolve
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Commitment to the mission and goals of the ACLU
The ACLU offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within the parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter, resume and a relevant writing sample to: hrjobsDEVF@aclu.org - reference [DEVF-55] in the subject line.
Please indicate in your cover letter where you learned of this career opportunity.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU reserves the right to change the description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions.
We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact: email@example.com. Correspondence sent to this email address that is not related to requests for accommodations will not be reviewed. Applicants should follow the instructions above regarding how to apply.
The ACLU comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation. Both the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation are national organizations with the same overall mission, and share office space and employees. The ACLU has two separate corporate entities in order to do a broad range of work to protect civil liberties. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “ACLU.”