Multimedia Associate [COMM-65]
American Civil Liberties Union Foundation
Communications Department, New York, NY
For nearly 100 years, the ACLU has been our nation’s guardian of liberty, working in courts, legislatures, and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach. With more than 2.5 million members, activists, and supporters, and more than 3 million social media followers, the ACLU is a nationwide organization that fights tirelessly in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and Washington, D.C., for the principle that every individual’s rights must be protected equally under the law, regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability or national origin.
The Communications Department of the National office in New York City is seeking applicants for the full-time position of Multimedia Associate.
The ACLU has made an unambiguous and unwavering commitment to the importance of communications as a central and essential element in the success of its mission. The organization places great emphasis on the role of communications in framing the debate on its issues, building support, and increasing the impact of its work. The Online Engagement Unit of the Communications Department is responsible for promoting the ACLU’s mission, its brand and its programs through multi-faceted digital and social media campaigns and communications.
Reporting to the Senior Multimedia Strategist in the Online Engagement Unit of the Communications Department, the Multimedia Associate will assist with video production, filming, and editing, work with on-location photographers and videographers, and assist on photo and video shoots. The Multimedia Associate will work closely with staff across the Communications Department and the organization to achieve the ACLU’s goals. This is a two-year limited duration position with possibility of extension.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborate with Communications and program staff to identify high-impact opportunities to increase the visibility of our advocacy, programmatic and legislative work.
- Handle day-to-day operations of the TV & Multimedia Studio, including cataloging and maintaining photo and video equipment.
- Assist with video production on long- and short-form videos produced in-house.
- Log, archive, and manage all video and photography assets.
- Track video metrics across social platforms.
- Optimize video and photo content for social platforms including YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Monitor video trends, and emerging practices. Make recommendations for new content opportunities for adoption by ACLU.
- Off hours, produce and publish content as-needed for coverage of high priority events, including via Facebook Live, Periscope, and other platforms.
- Assist with weekend web and social media publishing as part of a rotating coverage schedule.
- Perform background research and fact-checking for documentary productions.
- Assist with documentary, marketing, and event photography, and videography.
- Work as part of a multi-departmental and multi-disciplinary team that includes digital communications, online campaigners, web production, and online fundraising.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office; A personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience and a minimum of one year related experience in video and multimedia production is required.
- Excellent verbal, writing and interpersonal communications skills; strong attention to detail, ability to write and deliver work product under deadlines, and commitment to high quality standards.
- Experience using DSLR and professional video cameras.
- Audio and video recording and editing experience required.
- Experience using Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Photoshop required.
- Experience with Adobe Lightroom, Adobe AfterEffects, and Adobe Audition preferred but not required.
- Experience handling multiple video and audio formats is required.
- Ability to manage several complex projects simultaneously, often under tight deadlines.
- Must be self-motivated, demonstrate grace under pressure and possess the ability to work well both independently as well as within a team.
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission of the ACLU.
The ACLU offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within the parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a cover letter, resume and a link to a video and photography portfolio showing representative work to: hrjobsCOMM@aclu.org - reference [COMM-65] in the subject line.
Please indicate in your cover letter where you learned of this career opportunity.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU reserves the right to change the description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions.
We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact:firstname.lastname@example.org. Correspondence sent to this email address that is not related to requests for accommodations will not be reviewed. Applicants should follow the instructions above regarding how to apply.
The ACLU comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation. Both the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation are national organizations with the same overall mission, and share office space and employees. The ACLU has two separate corporate entities in order to do a broad range of work to protect civil liberties. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “ACLU.”