This position provides administrative and clerical support for the Director of Operations, including operations and finance related activities. The position may provide additional support to other Departments, coordinated through the Director of Operations. The position is designed to help facilitate greater office productivity and efficiencies. An understanding of office productivity applications such as Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), general accounting system software and windows operating systems are required. This position reports to the Director of Operations.
- Facilitate the smooth functioning of the office:
- Maintain all office supply lists, monitoring and ordering to ensure ample supplies are available on an ongoing basis, including replacements; order business cards, stationary, envelopes, etc.
- Coordinate new employee onboarding and off-boarding, completing specific checklists required for both, e.g., distribution of keys, email set-up requests to IT department
- Open, prioritize and distribute mail, including confidential communications relating to legal, financial, and personnel matters, in accordance with systems established by the Director of Operations
- Act as a liaison with operations department partners and vendors as it relates to facility maintenance, infrastructure needs, IT requests made by staff and others, e.g., HVAC vendor, annual elevator inspections, etc.
- Assist with finance department tasks:
- Perform administrative and clerical tasks that support the Operations Department that are general financial and non-financial entries: maintain credit card transaction records
- Maintain and organize files and report records
- Coordinate and execute ancillary tasks associated with vendor payments
- Process organization membership transactions, ensuring proper protocols are followed
- Provide bank transaction administrative support as needed, such as preparing bank deposits. Typing accurately, preparing and maintaining accounting department documents and records
- Perform other duties as assigned by Director of Operations, e.g., research that supports a project, assist with annual audit preparation
Note: Some off-site work and/or travel may be required and some projects may require support after traditional work hours of 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Qualifications and Preferred Skills:
- High School diploma with 1 – 4 years or equivalent experience
- Associates degree or relevant certification is a plus
- Knowledge of clerical and administrative procedures and systems, such as filing and record keeping
- Familiarity with bookkeeping and basic accounting procedures
- Accuracy and attention to details
- Experience and a high degree of comfort with Microsoft Office Products Suite (MS Word, MS Excel), accounting system software and Windows operation system
- Communication skills – written, verbal and presentation
- The ability to manage several projects at various stages of completion. Good problem-solving skills
- Interest in and enthusiasm for the ACLU’s mission, civil liberties and civil rights
- Work experience that demonstrates a confident and professional work style, an ability to work creatively and independently, and to exercise good judgment in stressful circumstances
Candidate must have a commitment to diversity; a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
Candidates must also be personally committed to advancing the ACLU’s values, mission, goals and programs, with an understanding of the range of civil liberties issues and their implications.
This position reports to the Director of Operations
Compensation and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Excellent benefits including health insurance and a 401(k) plan.
Please submit in digital form, a detailed letter of interest, resume and contact information, along with three references to ACLU of Michigan Director of Operations, Bill Greene, at OperAsstPosition@aclumich.org. Please include Operations Administrative Assistant and your name in the subject line of the email.
Application review begins June 11, 2018. The position will remain open until filled.
The ACLU of Michigan is an equal opportunity/ affirmative action employer. Women, people of color, persons with disabilities, returning citizens, and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people are encouraged to apply.
The ACLU of Michigan comprises two separate corporate entities, the ACLU of Michigan and the ACLU Fund of Michigan. The ACLU of Michigan and the ACLU Fund of Michigan share the same mission, office space, and employees. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “ACLU of Michigan.”