Project Manager [ADMU-59]
American Civil Liberties Union Foundation
Business Operations Department, NY
For nearly 100 years, the ACLU has been our nation’s guardian of liberty, working in courts, legislatures, and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, advancing racial justice, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties and civil rights cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach. With more than one million members, activists, and supporters, the ACLU is a nationwide organization that fights tirelessly in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and Washington, D.C., for the principle that every individual’s rights must be protected equally under the law, regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, record of arrest or conviction.
The Business Operations and Support Services (BOSS) department of the ACLU National office in New York City is seeking a highly effective and mission driven Project Manager to lead the organization-wide design and implementation of systems, applications, and process and procedure across the National and Affiliate offices. This is a 1 year term position reporting to the Director of Business Solutions and Strategy with the possibility of extension.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with ACLU departments across the nationwide organization, vendors, and staff to determine priorities, evaluate business requirements and resource needs, and recommend reasonable solutions.
- Develop the definition of project scope, goals, dependencies, timeline, and deliverables in coordination with key stakeholders.
- Develop project plans including detailed steps for implementation, process definition, user roll out, training, and communications.
- Lead risk management for assigned projects by preparing a project risk assessment matrix and updating on a regular basis for review with the project sponsor.
- Manage project schedule to ensure project is on time, within scope, and within budget.
- Manage project budgets and resource allocations.
- Document and troubleshoot project issues and recommend effective, business oriented, and strategic solutions.
- Develop a project communications plan and communicate with stakeholders about project status, issues, deadlines, and changes as defined.
- Work with cross-departmental teams to develop appropriate change management and communications procedures for projects
- Develop project management templates and tools for internal use.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Proven track records of successful system and process implementations in complex environments
- Bachelor’s degree or a minimum of three to five years related experience
- Excellent organizational skills with an ability to multi task, reprioritize, and quickly identify project risks and issues
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and writing, including the ability to compose, edit, and proof correspondence and documents
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment under strict deadlines and competing priorities
- Experience in a large complex nonprofit organization desirable
- Experience with Salesforce implementations desirable
- Ability to represent the organization and communicate professionally with ACLU staff and other colleagues, maintaining tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team, and foster a team-focused environment that encourages collaboration and peer support
- Strong commitment to the mission of the ACLU
The ACLU offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter (with salary requirements) and resume to hrjobsADMU@aclu.org. Reference [ADMU-59] in the subject line.
Please indicate in your cover letter where you learned of this career opportunity.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU reserves the right to change the job description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions.
We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact:firstname.lastname@example.org. Correspondence sent to this email address that is not related to requests for accommodations will not be reviewed. Applicants should follow the instructions above regarding how to apply.
The ACLU comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation. Both the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation are national organizations with the same overall mission, and share office space and employees. The ACLU has two separate corporate entities in order to do a broad range of work to protect civil liberties. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “ACLU.”