Prospect Research Analyst [DEVF-15]
American Civil Liberties Union Foundation
Development Department, NY
For nearly 100 years, the ACLU has been our nation’s guardian of liberty, working in courts, legislatures, and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach. With more than a million members, activists, and supporters, the ACLU is a nationwide organization that fights tirelessly in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and Washington, D.C., for the principle that every individual’s rights must be protected equally under the law, regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, record of arrest or conviction.
The Development Department of the National Office in New York City is seeking a full-time Prospect Research Analyst.
Reporting to the Deputy Director of Principal and Leadership Gifts, the Prospect Research Analyst is responsible for preparing prospect research for fundraisers, identifying new prospects for making leadership gifts to the ACLU), coordinating data analytics services, and ensuring that accurate and detailed donor information is collected and maintained in the ACLU donor database.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare written research profiles, event attendee bios, and qualification lists to support the cultivation of individual and organizational prospects. Discuss findings and strategy recommendations with national and affiliate development staff as appropriate
- Identify, evaluate and recommend prospects for making principal and leadership gifts ($100,000+ annual capacity) to support the ACLU’s fundraising goals
- Utilize online databases and resources, in house data, and other references to conduct prospect research and determine gift capacity ratings
- Coordinate data analytics vendor relations, including liaising with data vendors, preparing data exports and uploads, providing technical support to fundraising staff, and ensuring data hygiene in the ACLU’s CRM
- Act as a liaison between the prospect research team and the internal analytics and database operations teams
- With the Associate Director of Prospect Management, assist in monitoring the prospect research email queue and responding to questions from national and affiliate fundraisers
- Stay current regarding best practices for prospect research through APRA membership and attendance at conferences
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office; A personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree required
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience in prospect research, fundraising database management, and/or donor strategy work
- Advanced skills in databases, querying and Microsoft Excel is strongly preferred, Salesforce experience preferred
- Strong analytical ability required in order to interpret data needs, perform analysis, create reports and data solutions, and follow-through in a timely manner
- Ability to synthesize large amounts of data and generate reports independently.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and handle confidential donor/constituency information with sensitivity and integrity
- Commitment to basic prospect research ethics and the ACLU’s strong privacy principles
- Commitment to the mission of the ACLU
The ACLU offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter (with salary requirements), and resume to hrjobsDEVF@aclu.org. Reference [DEVF-15/ ACLU-W] in subject line. Please note that this is not the general ACLU email address. This email address is specific to the department. In order to ensure your application is received please make certain it is sent to the correct e-mail address. You can expect to receive an automatic response that acknowledges the submission of application materials.
Please indicate in your cover letter where you learned of this career opportunity.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU reserves the right to change the description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions.
We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact: firstname.lastname@example.org. Correspondence sent to this address that is not related to requests for accommodations will not be reviewed. Applicants should follow the instructions above regarding how to apply.
The ACLU comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation. Both the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation are national organizations with the same overall mission, and share office space and employees. The ACLU has two separate corporate entities in order to do a broad range of work to protect civil liberties. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “ACLU.”