The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is one of the nation's leading advocates on behalf of constitutional rights and liberties. Founded in 1951, as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with nearly 200,000 members and supporters, and eight offices statewide. We work in the courts, in the legislatures and on the streets to advocate for racial and economic justice, free speech, freedom of religion, privacy and equality before the law for all New Yorkers. For more information please visit our website: www.nyclu.org
The NYCLU seeks an experienced and innovative Senior Immigration Strategist who thrives in a collaborative organization and can skillfully handle diverse approaches to a broad immigrants’ rights docket.
The Senior Immigration Strategist will be responsible for leading and coordinating multi-disciplinary, proactive projects and responding to immediate threats in the areas of immigrants’ rights, immigration policy, due process, and racial justice. They will need to stay abreast of immigration policy issues and the advocacy landscape in New York. They will be required to frame and adapt the NYCLU's positions and strategy to this rapidly changing.
The Senior Immigration Strategist will have a particular focus on the intersectionality of immigrants’ rights with NYCLU priority areas including public education, criminal justice, law enforcement, and privacy. They will be tasked with developing an integrated approach that utilizes a range of tactics including research, legislative and administrative advocacy, litigation, legal analysis, civic engagement, coalition development, public education, and strategic communications.
This is a middle management position. Note the NYCLU is in the process of tweaking our program structure and exact lines of reporting are under review.
- Provide leadership, supervision, and coordination to internal advocacy, litigation, and lobbying efforts on immigration-related issues (while this role will not be primarily responsible for litigation, the person will be tasked with identifying and developing issues that may lead to litigation). This includes responsibility for regular and robust internal communications within the interdepartmental immigration team and with other staff, including senior staff, on all aspects of this work and issues that arise;
- Lead strategic planning and political strategy for our immigrants' rights portfolio;
- Engage in legislative, agency, and political process lawyering, and support legal and policy efforts, including evaluating local and state legislation and ballot measures, helping to develop new legislation and policy models, drafting local and state advocacy letters, and providing expertise to policymakers;
- Serve as a key spokesperson and resource for the NYCLU on issues of immigrants’ rights in the press, in internal discussions and strategy development, and in NYCLU publications;
- Conduct legal and policy research about immigration law and policy;
- Maintain relationships with issue experts, public interest groups, government officials, community stakeholders, and academics to engage them in our work and implement collaborative projects, and foster positive working relationships and opportunities to collaborate with state and national ACLU staff;
- Develop and support internal staff working on immigrants’ rights issues; and
- Identify emerging threats to civil rights and liberties.
The ideal candidate for this position will have deep expertise in immigration law; will have more than 10 years of experience with immigration impact litigation, advocacy, and/or lobbying; will be a known leader in the field; will have exceptional analytical and writing skills; will have strong ties to immigrant communities and the organizations working most actively in those communities; will have a proven ability to identify significant immigration issues and devise strategies for addressing those issues, and coordinate implementation of those strategies; will have a demonstrated ability to develop and work successfully with a diverse team; and will be fluent in at least one language other than English (preferably Spanish).
- 10 years of experience in the immigration field;
- Excellent communication, research, and analytical skills;
- Strong project and time management skills, including a high level of organization, attention to detail, and follow-through;
- Demonstrated experience engaging in creative problem solving, taking initiative, and exhibiting flexibility and good judgment;
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and a personal approach that values and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstances; and
- Willingness to travel within New York State for speaking events, meetings, and conferences.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should email a cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com with “Senior Immigration Strategist” in the subject line.
Application Deadline: January 18, 2019 (with applications considered until the position is filled)
The NYCLU is proud to be an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants regardless of race, sex, gender identity, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status or record of arrest or conviction. We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and having a workforce that reflects the population that we serve.