Senior Regional Field Director [PAAU-14/16]
American Civil Liberties Union
Political Action and Advocacy Unit, Washington, DC
For nearly 100 years, the ACLU has been our nation’s guardian of liberty, working in courts, legislatures, and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach. With more than a million members, activists, and supporters, the ACLU is a nationwide organization that fights tirelessly in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and Washington, D.C., for the principle that every individual’s rights must be protected equally under the law, regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, record of arrest or conviction.
Reporting to the National Field Director, the Senior Regional Field Director will be a critical function within the Political Action and Advocacy Unit. This position will serve as a revamped role at the organization, and therefore, the individuals must be entrepreneurial, possess demonstrated experience across a range of relevant fields including grassroots organizing, program planning, coalition engagement, possess the ability to work independently to identify projects that help drive the political conversation and build long-term capacity for the national and state level organizations. The Senior Regional Field Director will be responsible for enhancing the ACLU’s grassroots organizing culture and capacity, assisting in planning and managing campaigns, executing events, trainings and volunteer engagement, and connecting grassroots organizing with successful earned media coverage. The ideal candidate will have experience in campaign planning, strategy and tactics, political communications and the political dynamics in Congress, state legislatures and local governments. The Senior Regional Field Director will work collaboratively with digital organizing staff and consultants, state affiliate staff, affiliate support staff and others in the institution to help support the progress in the grassroots organizing capabilities of the ACLU. This position will run through the end of 2018 with the possibility of extension.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to and working in collaboration with the National Field Director, the Senior Regional Field Director will be responsible for the following:
- Assist in planning nationwide campaigns and engaging affiliates in strategy development, campaign planning, and identifying appropriate tactics, timelines and metrics.
- Evaluate needs and opportunities for major coalition development and represent affiliates in coalition formation and management.
- Execute and support the execution of major earned media, advocacy and organizing events in states.
- Collaborate with colleagues in the ACLU’s other nationwide departments and campaigns, ACLU state affiliates, national coalitions, and other allies as necessary.
- Serve as a resource for organizing and advocacy staff at affiliates, including mentoring mid-level and junior staff.
- Develop, execute and evaluate the effectiveness of organizing and advocacy trainings, and partner with affiliate and national campaign staff in developing, executing, evaluating and enhancing their trainings.
- Track programs’ progress to goals, produce reports and highlights and adjust plans as necessary.
- Ensure that mobilization efforts are part of long-term organizing and capacity building for the ACLU and affiliates, including assisting in setting up and executing two-way communication channels for volunteers and identifying high-performing volunteers.
- Closely track political developments, and identify strategic organizing and advocacy opportunities for the ACLU.
- Help shape ACLU’s grassroots engagement on key political issues and pending legislation.
- Stay informed by reviewing political publications and other relevant sources of information.
- Work across a multi-issue spectrum of issues that concern the ACLU.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in political, advocacy and/or issue campaigns required.
- Minimum 3 years of experience as a campaign manager, political director, field director or coordinated campaign director, or equivalent senior experience in a major issue advocacy campaign. (One year of experience is not sufficient for a senior level designation as compared to current staff).
- Demonstrated abilities and success in grassroots organizing;
- Demonstrated abilities and success in volunteer training including the ability to assess the results of training programs and modify accordingly
- Demonstrated abilities and success in issue advocacy and/or political program planning.
- Must possess a well-developed knowledge of political law and framework, specifically as it pertains to the application within the United States and to U.S. actions abroad.
- Must possess the ability to move people to action.
- Familiarity with earned media strategies.
- Ability to assess the needs and propose recommendations for resources to support initiatives.
- Strong communications skills in order to convey complex concepts, research and analysis in a clear and concise manner; Excellent presentation skills.
- Must be self-motivated and possess the ability to work independently as well as within a team.
- Excellent analytical, writing and organizational skills.
- Ability to provide geopolitical expertise and ability to conduct strategic/political studies and assessments for the application of strategies and tactics.
- Access to a major airport and ability to travel substantially.
- Commitment to the mission of the ACLU.
Please send a cover letter and resume to hrjobsPAAU@aclu.org. Reference [PAAU-14/16] in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Please indicate where you learned of this job posting.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU reserves the right to change the job description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions.
We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact:firstname.lastname@example.org. Correspondence sent to this email address that is not related to requests for accommodations will not be reviewed. Applicants should follow the instructions above regarding how to apply.
The ACLU comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation. Both the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation are national organizations with the same overall mission, and share office space and employees. The ACLU has two separate corporate entities in order to do a broad range of work to protect civil liberties. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “ACLU.”