The ACLU of Delaware is launching a Smart Justice Campaign to reduce the size of the prison population and rate of recidivism in Delaware and to promote expanded in-prison and out-of-prison programming in the areas of education, job training, substance abuse treatment and mental health services. The first phase of the campaign involves coalition building, community education and grassroots organizing. We are looking for a campaign organizer to help us get started.
The full-time Smart Justice organizer should be a dynamic, innovative and passionate individual able to create and mobilize a statewide network of advocates for criminal justice reform. Individuals with personal experience with the criminal justice system are strongly encouraged to apply.
This position will be based out of our Wilmington office and will report to the ACLU-DE’s executive director. This is an ideal opportunity for a talented, experienced organizer to have a significant impact on civil liberties, civil rights, and criminal justice reform in Delaware. The position is grant-funded, with a minimum commitment of one year of funding and the possibility of renewal.
- Ensure that the interests and vision of impacted populations and the broader community shape the ACLU-DE’s work on criminal justice reform;
- Identify, recruit, train, support and supervise a cohort of criminal justice volunteer advocates to lead criminal justice reform advocacy efforts;
- Build a coalition of key organizations, longtime partners, and new entities and constituencies to advance Smart Justice policy objectives and participate in actions (e.g., educational and media events, hearings, rallies, constituent/legislator meetings, advocacy trainings, etc.);
- Galvanize the support of additional community organizations, public officials, law enforcement officers, faith leaders, business leaders and members of communities impacted by crime to advance reform;
- Develop, conduct and widely publicize campaign relevant trainings that promote grassroots leadership, organizing and coalition building;
- Prepare written materials (fliers, brochures, newsletters) to support grassroots efforts;
- Assist with electronic communication on blogs, social networking sites, and regular email communications with supporters;
- Serve as a spokesperson at community gatherings and to the press as needed, in cooperation with the ACLU-DE’s Communications Department;
- Operate as a member of the ACLU-DE’s integrated advocacy team working with legal, communications, development and policy staff members;
- Perform additional duties, as necessary, as a policy/advocacy team member.
- Commitment to the mission and goals of the ACLU and a passion for criminal justice issues, commitment to criminal justice reform, and an understanding of the racialized nature of the criminal justice system are absolutely essential.
- Experience in community/field organizing and base building.
- Experience in political/advocacy/campaign organizing, with experience working directly with volunteers strongly preferred.
- A history of working collaboratively and successfully with people and organizations from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds and a broad range of ideological positions and religious views.
- Ability to travel around the state as necessary and to participate in evening and weekend meetings.
- Superb organizational skills; detail-oriented with strong follow-through and the ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of the opportunities and challenges of building and working in large, diverse coalitions.
- Strong writing and interpersonal skills.
- Creative, results-oriented, self-starting, and willing to learn.
- Strong task and time management skills.
- Personal experience being incarcerated or in other ways entangled with the criminal justice system is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field is preferred, but not required.
The salary range for this position is $30,000 to 40,000 depending on experience. Benefits include fully paid health insurance with dental and vision plans, paid vacation/sick leave, 10 paid holidays, a 401(k) plan with match and free parking.
Please submit a detailed letter of interest, resume and three references with phone and email contact information in PDF format to Kathleen MacRae at email@example.com. Indicate “Smart Justice Organizer” in the email address line. Please state in your cover letter where you found this announcement. No calls please.
All applications are treated confidentially. The position will remain open until filled.
The ACLU of Delaware is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to arrest or conviction, race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability or veteran status.