The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is one of the nation's leading advocates on behalf of constitutional rights and liberties. Founded in 1951, as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with more than 150,000 members and supporters, and eight offices statewide. We work in the courts, in the legislatures and on the streets to advocate for racial and economic justice, free speech, freedom of religion, privacy and equality before the law for all New Yorkers. For more information please visit our website: www.nyclu.org.
The NYCLU’s nine-person Communications Department spearheads the organization’s public education work and oversees all contact with the press. The department also launches multimedia advocacy campaigns, produces reports and other publications, runs the organization’s websites and keeps members of the staff apprised of their colleagues’ work.
The NYCLU seeks well-qualified candidates for the full-time position of Social Media Strategist.
The social media strategist manages the voice of the New York Civil Liberties Union across its social media channels. These include Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn. The strategist is responsible for increasing audience growth and engagement across these channels; packages news, key messages, and digital content produced by the NYCLU and ensures that it reaches target audiences; responds to breaking news and trends and interacts with followers; and develops conversations about the work of the NYCLU and the issues it champions.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This position reports to the director of communications, works collaboratively with the NYCLU Advocacy, Legal, Legislative, and Development departments, and performs the following duties:
- Shapes the NYCLU’s voice on social media platforms; Conceives, writes, curates and schedules social media content, responds to inquiries and mentions.
- Develops effective social media engagement and growth strategies, with time-bound goals and measurable benchmarks; reports on goal progress.
- Promotes NYCLU actions, news, products and writing, and develops social media strategies to complement NYCLU campaigns and actions;
- Actively monitors news, NYCLU mentions, and online trends to create timely and compelling social media content.
- Collaborates with multimedia producer on the concept and substance of multimedia products that are developed principally for social media dissemination; shares responsibility for NYCLU’s Instagram account with multimedia producer.
- Advises communications director and deputy communications director on emerging social media trends and strategies.
- Manages paid social media promotions.
- Collaborates with digital media strategist on digital ad strategy
- Develops NYCLU staff’s individual social media presences; Presents and instructs staff on social media best practices and strategy;
- Oversees NYCLU chapters’ social media channels, whether directly managing, delegating responsibilities, or providing strategic guidance.
- Analyzes and reports metrics to communications director and deputy communications director with a focus on content engagement and audience growth.
- Other writing and editing assignments as needed
The ideal candidate for this position has a demonstrated commitment to civil liberties and social justice. They are creative, innovative and collaborative, exercises good judgment, and can manage multiple requests and priorities alongside fast-paced news cycles. They are adept at solving problems and working in collaborative environments, and have both a diplomatic touch and a sense of humor. Experience in government or nonprofit communications preferred.
- Undergraduate degree in Marketing, Communications, Media, Journalism or other fields related to the NYCLU mission.
- Excellent writing ability; can produce concise, compelling, error-free posts and content under tight deadlines.
- Ability to conceive, execute and manage communications projects and strategies from start to finish.
- Three years of work experience with a focus on social media content and strategy.
- This position requires the ability to manage sensitive information.
- This position requires the flexibility to work evening and weekend assignments, and to manage news that can unexpectedly break outside of standard business hours.
Commensurate with experience, Minimum $50,000/yr.; (NYCLU has a generous and competitive benefits package)
HOW TO APPLY
E-mail your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Social Media Strategist” in the subject line.
Please submit a resume with a cover letter (no more than 2 pages) describing:
- Your unique qualifications for this position
- Your experience with social media
- Where or how you learned of this job posting
- Your salary requirements
The NYCLU will accept applications until January 12, 2018 or until the position is filled. Applications will be accepted and reviewed immediately. Qualified candidates may be asked to submit additional information, including performance samples and references from people they have worked with in the past.
The NYCLU is proud to be an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants regardless of race, sex, gender identity, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status or record of arrest or conviction. We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and having a workforce that reflects the population that we serve.