Special Assistant to the Chief Financial Officer [ADMU-61]
American Civil Liberties Union
Finance Department, New York, NY
For nearly 100 years, the ACLU has been our nation’s guardian of liberty, working in courts, legislatures, and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, advancing racial justice, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties and civil rights cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach. With more than one million members, activists, and supporters, the ACLU is a nationwide organization that fights tirelessly in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and Washington, D.C., for the principle that every individual’s rights must be protected equally under the law, regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, record of arrest or conviction.
The American Civil Liberties Union is seeking a Special Assistant to the Chief Financial Officer who will support the Chief Finance Officer (CFO) and will be responsible for logistical and administrative support for the entire Finance Department. The Special Assistant to the Chief Financial Officer will also work as a liaison between the CFO and ACLU National and Affiliate staff.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Assistant to the Chief Financial Officer will be responsible for:
- Providing administrative support to the New York-based Finance department.
- Serving as the primary point of contact for the Finance department and directing requests for information to the appropriate staff member.
- Responding to inquiries and requests for information from National staff, affiliate staff and others.
- Maintaining confidentiality of information related to sensitive financial and board related matters.
- Assisting with annual audit, budget, and revenue reconciliation processes.
- Scheduling ad hoc Board committees relating to financial matters, including, but not limited to, the Audit, Investment and Finance Committees and staffing these Committees as needed.
- Managing departmental calendaring and scheduling system.
- Reviewing payment requests for completeness and accuracy.
- Assisting with expense reports for the Finance department.
- Providing daily logistical planning, organization, and administrative support to CFO.
- Acting as a resource for all staff in the Finance department and supporting departmental work as needed.
- Creating and maintaining systems for easy access to department records.
- Performing other duties as appropriate and assigned.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance, and record of arrest or conviction.
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- 3 years of related work experience, accounting firm experience preferred.
- Must take initiative and be highly organized with attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize work and consistently meet deadlines.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to engage stakeholders at all levels, both within and outside of the organization.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (e.g., Outlook, Word, Excel).
- Working knowledge of basic financial and accounting concepts preferred.
- Commitment to the mission of the ACLU.
The ACLU offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within the parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter (with salary requirements) and a resume and a relevant writing sample to HRJobsADMU@aclu.org. Reference [ADMU-61] in subject line.
Please indicate in your cover letter where you learned of this career opportunity.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU reserves the right to change the job description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
The Department of Education has determined that employment in this position at the ACLU does not qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions.
We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact:firstname.lastname@example.org. Correspondence sent to this email address that is not related to requests for accommodations will not be reviewed. Applicants should follow the instructions above regarding how to apply.
The ACLU comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation. Both the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation are national organizations with the same overall mission, and share office space and employees. The ACLU has two separate corporate entities in order to do a broad range of work to protect civil liberties. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “ACLU.”