Immigrants' Rights and Detention
Our immigration detention system locks up hundreds of thousands of immigrants unnecessarily every year, exposing detainees to brutal and inhumane conditions of confinement at massive costs to American taxpayers. Recently, mothers and children, who are mainly asylum seekers fleeing violence in Central America, have been detained in family detention centers.
The “lock ’em up” approach to detention is contrary to common sense and our fundamental values. In America, liberty should be the norm for everyone—and detention the last resort.
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyOctober 5, 2012
- CaseApril 24, 2013
- CaseOctober 29, 2015
- News/Press ReleaseSeptember 14, 2017
- Blog Post - Speak FreelySeptember 11, 2017
- Legal DocumentAugust 31, 2017
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyAugust 31, 2017
- News/Press ReleaseAugust 31, 2017
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyAugust 18, 2017