Immigrants' Rights and Detention
Our immigration detention system locks up hundreds of thousands of immigrants unnecessarily every year, exposing detainees to brutal and inhumane conditions of confinement at massive costs to American taxpayers. Recently, mothers and children, who are mainly asylum seekers fleeing violence in Central America, have been detained in family detention centers.
The “lock ’em up” approach to detention is contrary to common sense and our fundamental values. In America, liberty should be the norm for everyone—and detention the last resort.
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyOctober 5, 2012
- MapOctober 8, 2011
- OtherOctober 1, 2012
- CaseOctober 29, 2015
- Blog Post - Speak FreelySeptember 21, 2016
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyMay 3, 2017
- CaseApril 17, 2017
- News/Press ReleaseMarch 29, 2017
- News/Press ReleaseMarch 28, 2017
- News/Press ReleaseMarch 20, 2017
ACLU Files Class Action Lawsuit Against DHS Challenging Months-Long Delays in Bringing Detained Immigrants, Asylum Seekers Before JudgesNews/Press ReleaseMarch 10, 2017