Immigrants' Rights and Detention
Our immigration detention system locks up hundreds of thousands of immigrants unnecessarily every year, exposing detainees to brutal and inhumane conditions of confinement at massive costs to American taxpayers. Recently, mothers and children, who are mainly asylum seekers fleeing violence in Central America, have been detained in family detention centers.
The “lock ’em up” approach to detention is contrary to common sense and our fundamental values. In America, liberty should be the norm for everyone—and detention the last resort.
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyJune 20, 2018
- News/Press ReleaseJune 20, 2018
- ReportJune 20, 2018
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyJune 19, 2018
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyJune 14, 2018
ACLU Comment on Trump Administration’s Reported Plan to Transfer Detained Immigrants to Federal PrisonsNews/Press ReleaseJune 8, 2018
- News/Press ReleaseMay 22, 2018
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyFebruary 13, 2018
ACLU Challenges Trump Administration Practice of Forcibly Separating Asylum-Seeking Parents and Young ChildrenNews/Press ReleaseFebruary 26, 2018
- Legal DocumentFebruary 26, 2018
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyMarch 5, 2018
- Fact SheetAugust 8, 2016