Immigrants' Rights and Detention
Our immigration detention system locks up hundreds of thousands of immigrants unnecessarily every year, exposing detainees to brutal and inhumane conditions of confinement at massive costs to American taxpayers. Recently, mothers and children, who are mainly asylum seekers fleeing violence in Central America, have been detained in family detention centers.
The “lock ’em up” approach to detention is contrary to common sense and our fundamental values. In America, liberty should be the norm for everyone—and detention the last resort.
- Blog Post - Speak FreelySeptember 14, 2018
- Legal DocumentSeptember 11, 2018
ACLU of Alaska Wins Settlement and Apology for Immigrant Unlawfully Detained by Palmer Police on Ice DetainerNews/Press ReleaseSeptember 11, 2018
- News/Press ReleaseSeptember 6, 2018
- Legal DocumentSeptember 4, 2018
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyAugust 24, 2018
- News/Press ReleaseMay 22, 2018
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyFebruary 13, 2018
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyAugust 2, 2018
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyMarch 5, 2018
- Fact SheetAugust 8, 2016
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyJuly 3, 2018