State and Local Immigration Laws
The ACLU and its partners have prevailed at getting discriminatory laws in states, cities, and towns across the country overturned and will keep fighting to ensure that such laws stay off the books. These laws, inspired by Arizona’s SB 1070, invite rampant racial profiling against Latinos, Asian-Americans, and others presumed to be “foreign” based on how they look or sound. These laws also authorize police to demand papers proving citizenship or immigration status from anyone they stop and suspect of being in the country unlawfully.
In addition, the ACLU is working on proactive legislation that offers immigrants the opportunity to attend school, seek professional licenses, and apply for driver’s licenses regardless of immigration status.
- Blog Post - The CampaignAugust 3, 2018
- News/Press ReleaseJuly 23, 2018
- OtherJuly 12, 2018
- Legal DocumentJuly 5, 2018
- News/Press ReleaseMay 21, 2018
- CaseMay 14, 2018
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyMarch 12, 2018
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyNovember 29, 2012
- Blog Post - The CampaignApril 24, 2012
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyJanuary 17, 2018
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyMay 19, 2012
- Blog Post - The CampaignJune 27, 2012