Since the first marriage lawsuit for same-sex couples in 1970, the ACLU has been at the forefront of both legal and public education efforts to secure relationship protections for same-sex couples and win legal recognition for LGBT relationships. The Supreme Court's decision in June 2015 in the ACLU's case Obergefell v. Hodges ensured that same-sex couples in all 50 states have the right to get married and have their marriages recognized in whichever state they live. We continue to fight to ensure full implementation of the Obergefell decision and equal protection for LGBT families.
fill out our confidential online form
For non-LGBT issues, please contact your local ACLU affiliate.
- MapDecember 16, 2014
- News/Press ReleaseMarch 31, 2015
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyMay 29, 2014
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyApril 2, 2015
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyMay 4, 2015
- Legal DocumentMarch 5, 2015
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyApril 4, 2016
Final Ruling in Federal Challenge to Florida Ban on Same-Sex Marriages Holds State's Ban UnconstitutionalNews/Press ReleaseMarch 31, 2016
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyDecember 8, 2015
- Legal DocumentNovember 13, 2015