Since the first marriage lawsuit for same-sex couples in 1970, the ACLU has been at the forefront of both legal and public education efforts to secure relationship protections for same-sex couples and win legal recognition for LGBT relationships. The Supreme Court's decision in June 2015 in the ACLU's case Obergefell v. Hodges ensured that same-sex couples in all 50 states have the right to get married and have their marriages recognized in whichever state they live. We continue to fight to ensure full implementation of the Obergefell decision and equal protection for LGBT families.
fill out our confidential online form
For non-LGBT issues, please contact your local ACLU affiliate.
- MapDecember 16, 2014
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyApril 4, 2016
- News/Press ReleaseMarch 31, 2015
Amicus Brief of President of the House of Deputies of the Episcopal Church in Support of the Freedom to MarryLegal DocumentMarch 6, 2015
- Legal DocumentMarch 6, 2015
- Legal DocumentFebruary 27, 2015
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyAugust 16, 2016
- News/Press ReleaseAugust 2, 2016
- Legal DocumentAugust 1, 2016
- Legal DocumentJune 23, 2016
- Legal DocumentJune 20, 2016
- Legal DocumentMay 10, 2016