One way students can make their school a safer environment for all youth is through a gay-straight alliance, or GSA -- a student-led club that provides support for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender students and their friends. Students have a clear legal right to form GSAs, but schools still often try to stop them from or treat them differently from other clubs.
Need help? We may be able to assist you in taking on your school and make it treat your GSA the way it should.
Or call (212) 549-2673. For non-LGBT issues, please contact your local ACLU affiliate.
If you've been discriminated against based on sexual orientation, gender identity, or HIV status, the ACLU wants to hear about it.
- LGBT Parenting
- LGBT Relationships
- LGBT Youth
- LGBT Nondiscrimination Protections
- Transgender Rights
- Criminal Justice Reform for LGBT People
- Know Your RightsJanuary 15, 2015
- OtherNovember 24, 2014
- News/Press ReleaseJuly 30, 2008
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyDecember 3, 2009
- Legal DocumentAugust 29, 2008
- CaseJuly 20, 2009