Transgender People and ID
Having to turn over your license to the police can be stressful for anyone, but that stress can be amplified for transgender people. Every time you show an ID that fails to match your gender to a store clerk, security guard, or TSA agent, it can be a constant reminder that the government doesn’t recognize your gender. Many states require you to jump through a complicated set of hoops to correct your ID if you are even allowed to make changes to it at all. The ACLU is working to lessen or get rid of the hurdles transgender people face in securing identity documents with the name and gender that accurately reflect their identity.
Fill out our confidential online form
For non-LGBT issues, please contact your local ACLU affiliate.
- CaseNovember 16, 2009
- News/Press ReleaseMay 21, 2015
- Legal DocumentMay 21, 2015
- News/Press ReleaseNovember 16, 2015
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyNovember 13, 2015
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyNovember 10, 2015
- LetterAugust 6, 2015
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyAugust 6, 2015