The ACLU champions transgender people’s right to be themselves. We’re fighting discrimination in employment, housing, and public places, including restrooms. We’re working to make sure trans people get the health care they need and we're challenging obstacles to changing the gender marker on identification documents and obtaining legal name changes. We’re fighting to protect the rights and safety of transgender people in prison, jail, and detention facilities as well as the right of trans and gender nonconforming students to be treated with respect at school. Finally, we’re working to secure the rights of transgender parents.
Fill out our confidential online form
For non-LGBT issues, please contact your local ACLU affiliate.
If you've been discriminated against based on sexual orientation, gender identity, or HIV status, the ACLU wants to hear about it.
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyFebruary 8, 2017
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyDecember 22, 2016
- News/Press ReleaseDecember 5, 2016
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyOctober 28, 2016
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyJanuary 4, 2017
- LetterDecember 5, 2016
- VideoMay 26, 2017
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyMay 22, 2017
- News/Press ReleaseMay 17, 2017
National Leaders, Groups File Briefs at Fourth Circuit Supporting Gavin Grimm and Transgender RightsNews/Press ReleaseMay 16, 2017
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyMay 15, 2017
- CaseMay 4, 2017