The ACLU champions transgender people’s right to be themselves. We’re fighting discrimination in employment, housing, and public places, including restrooms. We’re working to make sure trans people get the health care they need and we're challenging obstacles to changing the gender marker on identification documents and obtaining legal name changes. We’re fighting to protect the rights and safety of transgender people in prison, jail, and detention facilities as well as the right of trans and gender nonconforming students to be treated with respect at school. Finally, we’re working to secure the rights of transgender parents.
Fill out our confidential online form
For non-LGBT issues, please contact your local ACLU affiliate.
If you've been discriminated against based on sexual orientation, gender identity, or HIV status, the ACLU wants to hear about it.
- Legal DocumentMarch 7, 2018
- CaseMarch 7, 2018
- Legal DocumentFebruary 26, 2018
- News/Press ReleaseFebruary 20, 2018
- Legal DocumentFebruary 20, 2018
- Legal DocumentFebruary 13, 2018
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyOctober 4, 2017
- News/Press ReleaseJanuary 16, 2018
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyApril 10, 2017
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyDecember 22, 2014
- CaseJuly 29, 2016
- CaseJanuary 17, 2016