The ACLU champions transgender people’s right to be themselves. We’re fighting discrimination in employment, housing, and public places, including restrooms. We’re working to make sure trans people get the health care they need and we're challenging obstacles to changing the gender marker on identification documents and obtaining legal name changes. We’re fighting to protect the rights and safety of transgender people in prison, jail, and detention facilities as well as the right of trans and gender nonconforming students to be treated with respect at school. Finally, we’re working to secure the rights of transgender parents.
Fill out our confidential online form
For non-LGBT issues, please contact your local ACLU affiliate.
If you've been discriminated against based on sexual orientation, gender identity, or HIV status, the ACLU wants to hear about it.
- Blog Post - The CampaignJuly 5, 2018
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyJune 19, 2018
- News/Press ReleaseJune 1, 2018
- Legal DocumentMay 25, 2018
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyMay 25, 2018
Stone v. Trump - Plaintiffs' Cross Motion for Summary Judgment and Opposition to Defendants' Motion to Dismiss or Summary JudgmentLegal DocumentMay 25, 2018
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyAugust 11, 2017
Don’t Be Fooled by North Carolina, There Is No Repeal of The Anti-Trans HB2, Only More Discrimination.Blog Post - Speak FreelyMarch 30, 2017
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyApril 10, 2017
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyOctober 26, 2016
North Carolina Blocked From Enforcing Anti-Transgender Law Against Plaintiffs While Lawsuit ProceedsNews/Press ReleaseAugust 26, 2016
- InfographicFebruary 14, 2017