The ACLU of West Virginia (ACLU WV), is a private, non-profit, membership organization, devoted to promoting and defending civil rights and civil liberties. To achieve our mission, we manage legal, legislative and public education programs on a broad range of constitutional issues. The ACLU WV has six staff members assisted by volunteers in a fast-
We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU WV is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and is committed to developing a diverse pool of candidates. Women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals are encouraged to apply.
To support and expand our important work in the courtroom, in the legislature and in our communities it is essential that we continue to increase fundraising while expanding our membership statewide. We are seeking a Development and Membership Specialist (specialist) to work closely with the Executive Director (ED) and Board Development Committee in the administration of the development program with a focus on our Annual Fund for Justice Campaign targeting individual donors.
Reporting to the ED, the specialist will assist with prospective major donor research; coordinate donor cultivation and special event activities; help develop and produce cultivation, solicitation and acknowledgment packages; maintain database and handle membership calls and comment mail; and activities and stewardship tasks associated with retaining and increasing membership.
Annual Fund Campaign – Manage day-to-day operation of the annual Fund for Justice campaign. Track solicitor and donor progress, maintain up-to-date donor records, handle inquiries from volunteers, provide reports to the ED and Board Vice President for Development (VPD), manage the production of mailings, working with the VPD to coordinate the annual Board of Directors Retreat and produce training and campaign solicitation materials.
Reports and Record Keeping – Maintain confidential fundraising information on database and hold primary responsibility for the accuracy and integrity of the database information. Prepare reports as requested and produce donor acknowledgement letters in accordance with IRS and WV State regulations.
Donor Events – Coordinate occasional fundraising and cultivation events (house parties, receptions, etc.). Arrange for invitations, food and other logistics of the event.
Special Events – Working with the ED and VPD, assist in the coordination of the annual Bill of Rights Dinner including but not limited to development of invitation, publicity materials, securing donations for the silent auction and serving as ACLU liaison to the event venue staff.
Membership Outreach – In coordination with the ED and other staff members, assist with handling of public education and community events, planning of the Annual Membership Meeting, develop material for the ACLU WV website and Facebook page, write and edit occasional newsletter articles and assist with publications targeting donors, members and potential members, direct inquiries from members/donors to appropriate staff, respond to requests for support and information from ACLU WV chapters and general public.
General staff responsibilities – Attend certain ACLU functions, including but not limited to the Annual Membership Meeting, Board meetings, national and regional ACLU training and staff conferences. Successfully complete new staff training and multi-day database training coordinated by national ACLU.
- B.A. or equivalent. Experience in non-profit, advocacy or other community-based groups is valuable. Development, customer service and/or sales experience a plus.
- Comfort with and willingness to become proficient at face-to-face donor solicitation.
- Strong skills in use of computers for database management and proficiency in Microsoft Office programs are necessary. The ability to become proficient and skilled in database management is required.
- Excellent organization and administrative skills; a strong, consistent attention to detail, an organized work style and the ability to follow through on work.
- A demonstrated ability to write clearly and precisely. Strength in proofreading and an ardent attention to detail.
- An absolute commitment to confidentiality of donor records and ACLU WV work product.
- The ability to work on several projects at various stages of completion. Good problem solving skills. A confident, business-like and professional presentation as well as flexibility, determination and good humor. Ability to work successfully in a collaborative setting.
- Ability to work occasional irregular hours including sporadic travel throughout West Virginia. Access to reliable transportation and the ability to maintain a valid WV driver’s license and insurance is required.
- A profound and well-articulated commitment to civil liberties and social justice.
- A commitment to diversity; a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
Salary based on experience. Excellent benefits offered, including generous health insurance plan, life and long-term disability insurance; 401(k); generous sick, vacation, holiday leave and parking.
Send a cover letter, resume, three professional references and a short professional writing sample. Please indicate in your cover letter where you saw this job announcement.
Paper Submissions: Electronic Submissions:
PO Box 3952 Please put Job Application in the
Charleston, WV 25339-3952 subject line of your email
No telephone inquiries.
Applications will be accepted beginning May 6 and will be accepted until the position is filled. Applicants will be reviewed beginning May 13.