Strauss v. Horton - Amicus Curae Briefs in Support of Petitioners
Make a Difference
Your support helps the ACLU defend LGBT rights and a broad range of civil liberties.
Hundreds of organizations and individuals, including legislators, municipal governments, civil rights groups, labor unions, clergy and religious groups, bar associations and legal scholars have filed amicus curae briefs in support of the plaintiffs in Strauss v. Horton. A full list of briefs, including a complete listing of supporting organizations and individuals, is available here.
All briefs filed in support of the petitioners are available for download below. Briefs filed in opposition will be uploaded shortly. All files are in PDF format.
- Alameda County Bar Association, et al. (Bar Associations and Non-profit Legal Advocacy Organizations)
- Reverend Dr. Frank M. Alton, et al. (Clergy who Performed Weddings)
- Amici Concerned with Gender Equality
- Anti-Defamation League, et al.
- Asian Pacific American Legal Center, et al. (Civil Rights Organizations)
- Association of Certified Family Law Specialists and American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Northern Cal. Chapter
- Professors C. Edwin Baker, Robert A. Burt and Kermit Roosevelt III
- Beverly Hills Bar Association, et al.
- Billy DeFrank LGBT Community Center, et al. (LGBT Community Centers)
- California Council of Churches, et al. (Religious Organizations and Leaders)
- California Federation of Labor, et al. (Labor Unions)
- California National Organization for Women, et al.
- California Teachers Association
- Chapman University and Orange County Organizations and Individuals
- Children’s Law Center of Los Angeles, et al. (Children’s and LGBT Advocacy Organizations)
- The City of Berkeley, et al. (California Local Governments)
- Civil Rights Forum
- Constitutional and Civil Rights Law Professors
- The Constitutional Law Center of the Monterey College of Law
- Professors William N. Eskridge, Jr. and Bruce E. Cain
- Faith in America Inc.
- Human Rights Watch, et al.
- Jewish Family Service of Los Angeles
- League of Women Voters of California
- Legislative Amici Curiae (65 California Legislators)
- Log Cabin Republicans
- Love Honor Cherish
- Professor Karl M. Manheim
- Marriage Equality USA
- Our Family Coalition and COLAGE
- Pacific Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends, et al.
- Professors of Family Law
- Professors of State Constitutional Law
- Sacramento Lawyers for Equality of Gays and Lesbians (SacLEGAL)
- San Francisco Chamber of Commerce, et al. (Businesses)
- San Francisco La Raza Lawyers Association
- Archbishop Mark Steven Shirilau, Ph.D.
- Zakary Akin, et al.
- John Emmanuel Domine, et al.
- Erin Figueroa, Morgan Oliveira and Christina Demuth
- J. Rae Lovko and Jason E. Hasley
- James T. Linford
- Steven Mattos et. al.