Community Resolution for Sudbury, MA
ARTICLE 56. RESOLUTION: PROTECTION OF CIVIL LIBERTIES
Make a Difference
Your support helps the ACLU stand up for human rights and defend civil liberties.
To see if the Town will vote to approve this
SUDBURY CITIZENS' RESOLUTION FOR THE PROTECTION OF THE CIVIL LIBERTIES OF ITS CITIZENS
WHEREAS, the citizens of Sudbury have a long and distinguished history of fighting for and protecting American liberties;
WHEREAS, the citizens of Sudbury recognize the U. S. Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and the
Constitution of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to be the supreme laws of the Nation and of the Commonwealth;
WHEREAS, the citizens of Sudbury recognize that these documents guarantee all residents basic American rights and civil liberties, including:
- Freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and freedom of assembly;
- The freedom to petition the government for redress, and protection from governmental intrusions on privacy;
- Protection from unreasonable governmental searches and seizures;
- The right to counsel, due process, and speedy and public trials;
WHEREAS, the citizens of Sudbury believe these tights should not be infringed;
WHEREAS, we believe these civil rights and liberties are now threatened by provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act, provisions of the Homeland Security Act, and certain Federal Executive Orders;
WHEREAS, communities across the nation have adopted resolutions opposing those provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act, those provisions of the Homeland Security Act, and those Executive Orders that threaten our civil rights and civil liberties;
THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED THAT:
(I) The Town of Sudbury affirms the civil rights and civil liberties guaranteed to its residents by the U. S. Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and the Constitution of the Commonwealth of
Massachusetts, and believes that these basic American rights and liberties should not be infringed upon by an governmental agency, business, organization, or private person for any purpose; and
(2) The Town of Sudbury affirms the efforts of its departments to protect Sudbury residents and directs that all town departments act to preserve and protect the civil rights and civil liberties of Sudbury residents as specified in the Bill of Rights, the U. S. Constitution and the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts; and
(3) The Town of Sudbury directs its U. S. Congressional Representative and Senators (a) to monitor the implementation of the above Acts and Orders; (b) to actively work for the repeal of those provisions of the Acts and Orders that violate the fundamental American rights and liberties which are guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Bill of Rights; and (c) to resist the passage of any additional Acts which may violate fundamental American rights and liberties;
and BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT:
The Town of Sudbury directs the Town Counsel to transmit copies of this resolution to town Departments, to Sudbury's U. S. Congressional Representative and Senators, to the U. S.
Attorney General and the U. S. Attorney92s Office, to the Governor and the Attorney General of the Commonwealth, and to Sudbury's State Representative and Senators.; or act on anything relative thereto.
Submitted by Petition.