FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
“Law enforcement should be focused on public safety, not generating revenue,” said Rob Poggenklass, Tony Dunn Legal Fellow at the ACLU of Virginia. “Yet, today the Senate failed to rein in policing for profit. Under civil asset forfeiture, law enforcement has a built in profit incentive – they can seize and keep a person’s property unless the owner could prove that their property came through lawful means. By placing the burden on the property owner, it flips our justice system on its head.”
The Governor’s Amendment to SB 721 would have required a criminal conviction before the government could keep a person’s property. This legislation would not have addressed the federal “equitable sharing” program, which allows state and local law enforcement to seize and keep up to 80 percent of a person’s property with the other 20 percent going to the federal government. Similar to Virginia’s system, under “equitable sharing” a person need not be charged with a crime.
Throughout session, the ACLU of Virginia worked with Delegate Cole and allies from across the political spectrum, including the Virginia Tea Party Patriots Federation and the Institute for Justice, to advance HB 1287.
Since July 1991, Virginia law enforcement agencies have taken in more than $91 million in asset forfeitures. Under the original program, law enforcement agencies could keep up to 90 percent of the funds from forfeitures that have a “substantial connection” to drug offenses, thus creating an incentive for use of the forfeiture mechanism. And, the person whose money or property is taken need not be convicted of – or even charged with – a crime for the money or property to be seized and forfeited.
About ACLU of Virginia
The ACLU of Virginia promotes civil liberties and civil rights for everyone in the Commonwealth through public education, litigation, and advocacy with the goal of securing freedom and equality for all. For more information on the ACLU of Virginia go to www.acluva.org.