Election Protection Hotline and Poll Monitors Ready to Protect Voting Rights on Election Day
HOUSTON — To protect against voter suppression on Election Day, the American Civil Liberties Union of Texas will be providing dozens of volunteer poll monitors at precincts throughout Harris County. In addition, ACLU of Texas staff attorneys will join volunteer attorneys in staffing a toll-free nationwide Election Protection Hotline to help voters who encounter problems at the polls.
The Election Protection Hotline is available in multiple languages:
- In English: 866-OUR-VOTE (866-687-8683)
- In Spanish: 888-VE-Y-VOTA (888-839-8682)
- In several Asian languages (Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Tagalog, Hindi, Urdu, and Bengali): 888-API-VOTE (888-274-8683)
- In Arabic: 844-YALLA-US (844-925-5287)
“Voting is the foundation to our civil rights and liberties,” said Edgar Saldivar, senior staff attorney for ACLU of Texas. “We want to ensure that all voters have a chance to cast their ballot without unnecessary obstacles. If any one feels that their voting rights have been violated in any way, we urge them to call upon our Election Protection hotline or notify our trained poll watchers.”
The ACLU of Texas is particularly concerned about the following problems voters may face at the polls:
- Voters who are prevented from receiving special assistance in the voting booth;
- Ballot security initiatives designed to suppress minority voting;
- Voters turned away without being offered a provisional ballot;
- Too few machines in polling places which will lengthen lines and discourage eligible voters;
- Poll-watching activities that go beyond mere observation and become harassment;
- Moving polling places on short notice or without sufficient warning; and
- Disinformation campaigns.
Every month, you'll receive regular roundups of the most important civil rights and civil liberties developments. Remember: a well-informed citizenry is the best defense against tyranny.
The Latest in Voting Rights
Historic Win: U.S. Supreme Court Rules Alabama’s Congressional Map Violates the Voting Rights Act by Diluting Black Political Power
Utah State Legislature v. League of Women Voters
New Motions Filed in Lawsuit Challenging Georgia’s Omnibus Anti-Voter Law Seek to Defend Against Racial Discrimination and Remove Barriers to Absentee Voting
Voting and Immigrants’ Rights Advocates Sue Over New Florida Law That Targets Voter Registration, Civic Engagement, and Political Speech
The American Civil Liberties Union is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed to every person in this country by the Constitution and laws of the United States of America.
Learn More About Voting Rights
Voting is the cornerstone of our democracy and the fundamental right upon which all our civil liberties rest. The ACLU works to protect and expand Americansʼ freedom to vote.