RESOLUTION NO. 04-118
RESOLUTION REGARDING THE U.S.A. PATRIOT ACT
FOR THE CITY OF AMES
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the City Council of the City of Ames, Iowa, that it:
1. AFFIRMS its strong support for all constitutional rights and its dedication to defending civil liberties; and,
2. AFFIRMS its strong support for the rights of immigrants and resident foreign nationals and opposes measures that single out individuals for legal scrutiny or enforcement activity based on their appearance, religious beliefs, or country of origin; and,
3. AFFIRMS its belief that America can be safeguarded from any threats without sacrifice of constitutional rights and liberties; and,
4. OPPOSES that portion of the U.S.A. PATRIOT Act that infringes on civil liberties as articulated in the Bill of Rights of the U. S. Constitution; and,
5. ENCOURAGES the Ames Public Library to post in a prominent place within the Library a notice to library patrons worded as follows: ""WARNING! Under Section 215 of the U.S.A. PATRIOT Act (Public Law 107-56), records of the books and other materials you borrow from the Library may be obtained by federal agents. That federal law prohibits librarians from informing you if records about your borrowing activity have been obtained by federal agents;"" and,
6. DIRECTS the City Manager to transmit a copy of this Resolution, via fax, to the Iowa Congressional Delegation, the President of the United States, and the United States Attorney General.
ADOPTED THIS 23rd day of March 2004.
Diane R. Voss, City Clerk Ted Tedesco, Mayor
Introduced by: Mahayni
Seconded by: Wirth
Voting aye: Cross, Goodman, Mahayni, Vegge, Wirth
Voting nay: Goodhue
Resolution declared adopted and signed by the Mayor this 23rd day of March 2004.