September 13, 2012
Organizer–Western Regional Office
The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is one of the nation's foremost defenders of civil liberties and civil rights. Founded in 1951 as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with eight offices and 50,000 supporters statewide.
The NYCLU seeks to fill the position of Organizer for the Western Regional Office (WRO), which serves the counties of Allegheny, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie, Niagara, Genesee, Orleans and Wyoming. The Organizer will be based in Buffalo and report to the WRO Director and the NYCLU’s Statewide Advocacy Coordinator.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist the chapter director in implementing campaigns to advance and defend civil liberties and civil rights
- Respond to requests for support and information from the public.
- Engage in a wide array of tactics, including lobbying, coalition building and organizing to mobilize NYCLU members and supporters on a wide range of civil rights and liberties issues.
- Build and maintain a grassroots network of members, supporters and volunteers, including on college, law school and high school campuses
- Organize and conduct public education events, including “know your rights” presentations, community forums, and panel discussions.
- Other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- A passion for civil liberties and a commitment to organizing.
- An Associates’ degree, and at least one year experience working with advocacy groups or community organizations on social justice issues.
- Excellent writing, research, and communication skills.
- Strong team-building and organizing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate people.
- Ability to explain concepts of law and public policy to a variety of audiences.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends.
- Proficiency with MS Office programs.
- Strong cultural competency.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants should email a cover letter (with salary requirements), resume, and writing samples by email to email@example.com
with “WRO Organizer”
and where you saw our posting in the subject line.
Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
The NYCLU is proud to be an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals.