Feature on Multnomah v. US - Challenge to Library Web Blocking Law
Supreme Court to Hear Web Blocking Case
CIPA challenge documents
Make a Difference
Your support helps the ACLU defend privacy rights and a broad range of civil liberties.
- Trial court decision (May 31, 2002)
- ACLU Complaint in Multnomah County Public Library et al., vs. United States of America, et al.
- ACLU Response to Government's Motion to Dismiss
Examples of Wrongly Blocked Web Sites
- Evidence submitted at trial
- Consumer Reports Reviews Blocking Software Programs
- Find Out Who's Been Censored at the Censorware Project
ACLU Special Reports
- Censorship In a Box: Why Blocking Software is Wrong for Public Libraries Fahrenheit 451.2: Is Cyberspace Burning?
- American Library Association page on CIPA challenge
- COPA Commission report (panel created by Congress that recommended against blocking programs)
- Government Report on the Digital Divide
Plaintiffs' Legal Team:
- Stefan Presser of the ACLU of Pennsylvania Foundation
- David L. Sobel of the Electronic Privacy Information Center
- Lee Tien of the Electronic Frontier Foundation
- Chuck Sims, Frank Scibilia, Stefanie Krause and Andy Lee with the New York City law firm Proskauer Rose
- Tom Sponsler, Multnomah County Attorney
For more information about the ACLU's efforts to stop censorship on the Internet, visit the Privacy and Technology issue page