The ACLU champions transgender people’s right to be themselves. We’re fighting discrimination in employment, housing, and public places, including restrooms. We’re working to make sure trans people get the health care they need and we're challenging obstacles to changing the gender marker on identification documents and obtaining legal name changes. We’re fighting to protect the rights and safety of transgender people in prison, jail, and detention facilities as well as the right of trans and gender nonconforming students to be treated with respect at school. Finally, we’re working to secure the rights of transgender parents.
Fill out our confidential online form
For non-LGBT issues, please contact your local ACLU affiliate.
If you've been discriminated against based on sexual orientation, gender identity, or HIV status, the ACLU wants to hear about it.
- PodcastSeptember 19, 2019
- CaseSeptember 10, 2019
- Blog Post - Speak FreelySeptember 3, 2019
- Press ReleaseAugust 20, 2019
- LetterAugust 13, 2019
- Press ReleaseAugust 13, 2019
Black Trans Women Are Being Murdered in the Streets. Now the Trump Administration Wants to Turn Us Away From Shelters and Health Care.Blog Post - Speak FreelyMay 24, 2019
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyJuly 24, 2019
- InfographicFebruary 14, 2017
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyFebruary 6, 2014
- Blog Post - The CampaignJune 19, 2012