The ACLU champions transgender people’s right to be themselves. We’re fighting discrimination in employment, housing, and public places, including restrooms. We’re working to make sure trans people get the health care they need and we're challenging obstacles to changing the gender marker on identification documents and obtaining legal name changes. We’re fighting to protect the rights and safety of transgender people in prison, jail, and detention facilities as well as the right of trans and gender nonconforming students to be treated with respect at school. Finally, we’re working to secure the rights of transgender parents.
Fill out our confidential online form
For non-LGBT issues, please contact your local ACLU affiliate.
If you've been discriminated against based on sexual orientation, gender identity, or HIV status, the ACLU wants to hear about it.
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyAugust 21, 2018
- Legal DocumentAugust 14, 2018
- Legal DocumentAugust 9, 2018
ACLU Sues Charter School for Failing to Provide Records on its Policy Governing Transgender StudentsNews/Press ReleaseAugust 1, 2018
- Legal DocumentJuly 27, 2018
- News/Press ReleaseJuly 25, 2018
- Blog Post - The CampaignJune 19, 2012
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyJuly 29, 2016
- News/Press ReleaseMay 30, 2014
North Carolina Blocked From Enforcing Anti-Transgender Law Against Plaintiffs While Lawsuit ProceedsNews/Press ReleaseAugust 26, 2016
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyMay 6, 2016
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyDecember 22, 2014