Fiscal Cost of Mass Incarceration
Prison system costs now account for 1 out of every 15 state general fund discretionary dollars. Criminal justice is the second-fastest-growing category of state budgets, behind only Medicaid, and 90 percent of that spending goes to prisons. We are wasting trillions of dollars on an ineffective and unjust criminal justice system. We have more effective tools for preventing and responding to crime than prisons.
- Blog Post - The CampaignApril 3, 2013
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyOctober 9, 2014
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyJune 26, 2012
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyMarch 21, 2012
- Blog Post - Speak FreelySeptember 4, 2012
A Way Toward Balancing Government Budgets While Promoting Justice: Break Our Addiction to IncarcerationBlog Post - Speak FreelyAugust 9, 2011