When I wrote about Justin Bieber's trouble with the law last week, we didn't know how far he'd fall in just a few days. Now Bieber has been arrested for late-night drag racing in Miami Beach. If convicted, another immigrant in his situation would very likely languish in immigration detention before being deported. That person—like 84 percent of people in immigration detention-- would also likely not have an immigration attorney, let alone a high-priced one.
While the media is focused on what will happen to Bieber, let's instead focus on what will happen to all of the other immigrants who are detained and deported for lesser offenses than his. Learn more about them.
Learn more about immigrant deportation and other civil liberty issues: Sign up for breaking news alerts, follow us on Twitter, and like us on Facebook.
Learn More About the Issues on This Page
Related Content
-
Press ReleaseFeb 2026
Immigrants' Rights
Legal Groups Representing Plaintiffs File Supreme Court Brief Supporting Core Constitutional Protection Of Birthright Citizenship . Explore Press Release.Legal Groups Representing Plaintiffs File Supreme Court Brief Supporting Core Constitutional Protection of Birthright Citizenship
Courts have uniformly blocked President Trump’s birthright citizenship executive order; Supreme Court arguments set for April 1 WASHINGTON — Legal organizations representing a class of all babies who would be subject to President Trump’s harmful, unconstitutional, and unlawful executive order restricting birthright citizenship filed their Supreme Court merits brief today outlining the myriad reasons the court should strike down the order once and for all. The Supreme Court will hear oral argument in the case, Trump v. Barbara, on April 1. The Barbara case is a nationwide class action brought by the American Civil Liberties Union, ACLU of New Hampshire, ACLU of Maine, ACLU of Massachusetts, Legal Defense Fund, Asian Law Caucus, and Democracy Defenders Fund. Courts have repeatedly blocked the Trump administration from implementing the executive order, finding it violates the Constitution, over a century of Supreme Court precedent, and a longstanding federal statute. Because of the Constitution’s birthright citizenship guarantee and federal laws, nearly every child born on U.S. soil is automatically a U.S. citizen, regardless of their parents’ status, wealth, or origin. In their brief filed today, the groups write that, “For generations, all three branches of the U.S. government and the American people have understood, applied, and relied on that constitutional bedrock — embodying our American values of equality and opportunity and contributing to the thriving of our Nation.” Indeed, it has been a fixture of American identity since the nation’s founding and was firmly enshrined in the 14th Amendment. The Trump administration, the brief notes, “is asking for nothing less than a remaking of our Nation’s constitutional foundations.” Read the full brief here. The following is comment from the co-counsel team: “Citizenship by birth and not parentage is one of the most cherished foundation stones in the U.S. Constitution. It has been settled by constitutional amendment since 1868 and by Supreme Court precedent since 1898,” said ACLU National Legal Director Cecillia Wang, who will argue the case before the Supreme Court. “The framers of the 14th Amendment were specifically acting to prevent government officials from interfering with native-born Americans' citizenship and they would be dismayed by what the president is trying to do today.” “We are proud to stand with this coalition before the Supreme Court to quell the administration’s attempt to resurrect a racialized notion of who gets to be an American citizen,” said Ashley Burrell, senior counsel at LDF. “Birthright citizenship was originally established in our Constitution to finally ensure citizenship for all, including Black people who were forced to endure hundreds of years of bondage. The 14th Amendment makes it clear that all children born in this country are entitled to the rights and protections of American citizenship, and we will continue fighting to ensure this is not undermined.” “Birthright citizenship is what makes every child born here unequivocally American,” said Aarti Kohli, executive director of Asian Law Caucus. “Without it, ordinary milestones — getting a Social Security number, a passport, or access to federal programs — become obstacles for the thousands of children who could be born into legal limbo from day one. Asian Americans have fought for this constitutional promise before and won. The Asian Law Caucus is proud to fight for it again before the Supreme Court.” “Today, DDF and our partners filed a Supreme Court brief defending a basic American principle: birthright citizenship,” said Tianna Mays, legal director for Democracy Defenders Fund. “Trump’s executive order is flatly unconstitutional, directly contradicts Supreme Court precedent, and conflicts with federal law, and our brief makes that clear. We look forward to making this argument before the court and are confident they will affirm this basic right, which has stood for over a century.” “We are continuing to fight this cruel executive order to ensure that every child born in the United States has their right to citizenship protected instead of being relegated to a permanent, multigenerational subclass of people born in the U.S. but who are denied full rights,” said SangYeob Kim, director of the Immigrants’ Rights Project at the ACLU of New Hampshire. “The Trump administration is attempting to destroy our shared values of freedom, opportunity, and dignity for all by treating millions of American babies as second-class citizens. That's unconstitutional, unlawful, and just plain wrong. The Supreme Court should throw out the administration's divisive, degrading, and clearly unconstitutional executive order and reaffirm the principle of birthright citizenship — a bedrock right in the United States and a cornerstone of our democracy,” said Jessie Rossman, legal director for the ACLU of Massachusetts. “The 14th Amendment is clear: babies born in the U.S. are U.S. citizens,” said Zach Heiden, chief counsel at the ACLU of Maine. “Today’s brief demonstrates that birthright citizenship is a longstanding American principle that all three branches of government have recognized for nearly two centuries. We hope the Supreme Court will uphold the plain language of the Constitution and stop the president’s attempt to upend one of our nation’s core tenets.” The brief is here.Court Case: Barbara v. Donald J. TrumpAffiliates: New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Maine -
Press ReleaseFeb 2026
Immigrants' Rights
Human Rights
Aclu Of Minnesota And Aclu Comment On The Trump Administration Announcing An End To Operation Metro Surge. Explore Press Release.ACLU of Minnesota and ACLU Comment on the Trump Administration Announcing an End to Operation Metro Surge
MINNEAPOLIS — Today, “Border Czar” Tom Homan announced that the administration is ending its domestic federal deployment – Operation Metro Surge – in Minnesota. This deployment resulted in shootings, deaths, and innumerable constitutional rights violations. Masked federal agents in military gear have ignored basic human rights in their enforcement activity against Minnesotans, especially targeting Somali and Latino communities. “For the past two months, Minneapolis and St. Paul have felt like cities under siege,” said Deepinder Mayell, Executive Director of the ACLU of Minnesota. “While today’s announcement by Tom Homan is welcomed, federal agents continue to use tactics and practices that violate constitutional rights. There is no evidence that these practices have changed. What we’ve seen in Minnesota represents a significant escalation in the administration's attack on free speech, due process, and equal protection rights. Now is not the time for Minnesotans to rest. The ACLU of Minnesota will continue working in the courts, the legislature, and in our communities to work to rebuild what Operation Metro Surge tried to destroy.” There are limited details on how the supposed drawdown will occur and on what timeline. The ACLU of Minnesota and the ACLU will continue our lawsuits and work to hold law enforcement accountable for their abuses. Similar to other cities and states, after Operation Metro Surge concludes, federal agents will remain in some capacity, and more federal agents could return at any time. We will continue to monitor reports of racial profiling, physical abuse, targeting of children and families, and illegal detention from communities around the nation. “This ‘operation’ involved violence, misconduct, and constitutional violations at every turn, and the Minnesota community made the world know the abuses occurring in their neighborhoods,” said Naureen Shah, Director of Government Affairs for the ACLU’s Equality Division. “The administration now says it’s leaving, a sign that it feels the public’s outrage, but we know better than to take hollow words as truth. We will continue fighting in court over their attacks on our rights and safety, but let’s be clear: Congress has a mandate to rein in these federal agencies and ensure that none of these violations happen again in Minneapolis or anywhere else.” In Hussen v. Noem, Minnesotans are challenging the administration's policy of racially profiling, unlawfully seizing, and unlawfully arresting people without a warrant and without probable cause. In Tincher v. Noem, Minnesotans are challenging the administration’s policy and practice of retaliation and excessive use of force against people observing, recording, and protesting immigration enforcement activity.Affiliate: Minnesota -
Press ReleaseFeb 2026
Immigrants' Rights
Aclu Statement On Senate Vote To Block Funding For Department Of Homeland Security Without Reforms. Explore Press Release.ACLU Statement on Senate Vote to Block Funding for Department of Homeland Security Without Reforms
WASHINGTON – The Senate today blocked another measure that would have provided funding for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) without any meaningful reforms to limit violent and abusive tactics by federal agents. The vote comes as the Trump administration announced a drawdown of federal law enforcement presence in Minneapolis, following widespread outcry over ICE’s growing lawlessness in Minneapolis and nationwide. New polling shows that 52 percent of Americans want Congress to withhold funding for DHS if they do not get the reforms they seek. With DHS slated to shut down this weekend, Senate Democrats are continuing to highlight their demands for an end to indiscriminate stops and warrantless arrests by ICE, as well as enforceable standards and accountability for violent misconduct by federal agents, and requirements that agents identify themselves and take off their masks. In response to this news, Naureen Shah, director of policy and government affairs for immigration at the American Civil Liberties Union, had the following reaction: “Communities across the country have been loud and clear: it’s past time to rein in ICE’s abuses. The American people don’t want to see their taxpayer dollars being used to fuel rogue agencies that kill their neighbors, arrest people based on the color of their skin, or put children behind bars. "While we applaud the senators who held the line, we urge members of Congress to once and for all heed constituents’ calls for meaningful reforms against ICE’s abuses. The safety of our communities and our freedom depend on it.” -
IdahoFeb 2026
Criminal Law Reform
Immigrants' Rights
Rodriguez, Et Al. V. Porter, Et Al.. Explore Case.Rodriguez, et al. v. Porter, et al.
On February 10, 2026, CLRP, along with the ACLU of Idaho and Wendy J. Olson, former U.S. Attorney for the District of Idaho, and partner at Stoel Rives, filed a putative class action lawsuit challenging an immigration raid carried out at a popular family event in Wilder, Idaho in October 2025.Status: Ongoing