Right to Counsel
For too many people in America, access to effective counsel is treated as a privilege for the few instead of a constitutional right guaranteed for all. CLRP is working to ensure each person accused of a crime has access to an attorney at every critical stage of criminal proceedings. Far too often, defendants are forced to appear at key hearings about probable cause or bail—or even to plea bargain or plead guilty—without the necessary legal guidance. By protecting and expanding the right to counsel, CLRP is helping to guarantee that states around the country ensure that people charged with crimes receive meaningful assistance of counsel.
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyMay 16, 2019
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyOctober 12, 2017
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyNovember 24, 2015
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyJanuary 25, 2016
- CaseOctober 24, 2018
- Legal DocumentOctober 12, 2017