Every sexually active individual should have safe, affordable access to the full range of contraceptive options. Meaningful access to contraception and freedom from coerced contraception are integral to our vision of a world in which people are free to express their sexuality, form intimate relationships, lead healthy sexual lives, and decide whether and when to have children.
Access to contraception is critical to an individual’s autonomy, equality, and ability to participate in the social, economic, and political life of the nation. Yet for many people—particularly low-income women and teens—issues of cost and confidentiality make contraception inaccessible.
The ACLU seeks government policies that ensure access to affordable contraception; respect voluntariness; protect confidentiality; and prohibit sex discrimination, be it in the form of sanctioning religious refusals or treating contraception differently from other care.
- Legal DocumentJanuary 14, 2019
- News/Press ReleaseJanuary 13, 2019
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyNovember 8, 2018
- News/Press ReleaseNovember 7, 2018
Wisconsin Court Upholds Discipline of Pharmacist Who Refused to Refill Birth Control Pill PrescriptionNews/Press ReleaseMarch 25, 2008
- Legal DocumentJune 2, 2014
- Blog Post - Speak FreelySeptember 30, 2013
- Legal DocumentMarch 28, 2013
- OtherMay 28, 2015
- Legal DocumentApril 30, 2012