The ACLU strives for an America free of discrimination against people with disabilities, where people with disabilities are valued, integrated members of society who have full access to education, homes, health care, jobs, and families. We are also committed to ensuring people with disabilities are no longer segregated into, and overrepresented in, civil and criminal institutions such as nursing homes, psychiatric hospitals, jails, and prisons.
What You Need To Know
- 70% Seventy percent of public school students who are physically restrained or secluded have disabilities.
- 60%Sixty percent of people in local jails have some form of mental disability.
- $15,000 or lessForty-eight percent of people with disabilities have a personal income of $15,000 or less.
People in the United States are profoundly uncomfortable with people who have disabilities, especially significant or visible disabilities. This has led, consciously or unconsciously, to health care, housing, and employment that segregates people with disabilities from the rest of society.
The ACLU supports reducing the use of the United States’ jail and prison systems to warehouse people with mental and physical disabilities. We support efforts within the criminal justice system to identify and work with a person’s disability in rehabilitative efforts.
The ACLU supports equal access to educational opportunities for people with disabilities. We promote an education system that is free from punitive disciplinary methods—such as corporal punishment, restraint and seclusion, and bullying—and inappropriate and overused suspensions and expulsions. We oppose the use of vouchers and separate schools that further segregate and impoverish the education of students with disabilities.
The ACLU Seeks Day in Court for Mentally Disabled Man Denied Medical Attention by Baldwin State PrisonNews/Press ReleaseJanuary 15, 2019
- News/Press ReleaseNovember 8, 2018
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyNovember 2, 2018
Series of Legal Actions Taken on Behalf of Students With Disabilities Affected by Providence School Bus StrikeNews/Press ReleaseOctober 10, 2018
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyOctober 3, 2018
- News/Press ReleaseSeptember 13, 2018
- Blog Post - The CampaignFebruary 20, 2017
- Blog Post - Speak FreelyFebruary 13, 2018
Congress Wants to Change the Americans With Disabilities Act and Undermine the Civil Rights of People With DisabilitiesBlog Post - The CampaignSeptember 6, 2017