Every day across the nation, the ACLU is called on to defend all the freedoms guaranteed in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.
There's never been a more important time for freedom-loving people to support the ACLU and our effective work to protect civil liberties.
Take your stand and help us defend people’s rights. Here are some ideas to get you started.
Become a Member
Our rights depend on our willingness to defend them. By joining the ACLU today, you'll be doing your part to restore American values of justice, due process and individual freedoms.
Renew Your Membership
Renew your membership today to help defend civil liberties and the fundamental principles of our Constitution.
Make a Monthly Gift
By joining the Guardians of Liberty program, monthly gifts of $25, $20, or as little as $10 can provide the support we need to continue to fight for all our freedoms.
The need has never been greater for freedom-loving people to support the ACLU. Your additional gift will help protect our cherished liberties.
Donate to the ACLU Foundation
Help spearhead groundbreaking civil liberties litigation and public education by making a tax-deductible gift to the ACLU Foundation.
Gifts by Check
If you’d like to send a check to the ACLU, please address it to the ACLU c/o the Gift Processing Department, 125 Broad Street, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10004. Please designate if it is a gift to the American Civil Liberties Union or the American Civil Liberties Union Foundation. Learn about the difference here.
Interested in raising money for the ACLU from friends and family? Here are some ideas:
- A simple way to give to the ACLU is to direct your friends and family to make a gift online. We can put the money to use right away and we’ll acknowledge their gift.
- You may also consider asking your friends and family to give an ACLU gift membership, in place of a present for a birthday or a holiday, or to celebrate a milestone (graduation, wedding, etc).
- You can also start a campaign for the ACLU via Facebook or Crowdrise. We are listed as American Civil Liberties Union Foundation, Inc.
Here are some facts about us and landmark events in our history. You might find this useful in informing friends and family about our work.
Planning an event, auction, or fundraiser with proceeds going to the ACLU? Here are some tips and resources.
What can I tell my guests about the ACLU?
My guests want to help! What should I tell them?
- Become an ACLU online activist
- Become a card-carrying member by making a gift to the ACLU
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter so that you can share and re-tweet
Where should I send the donation after the event?
For tax-deductible gifts to the ACLU Foundation, please mail a check to the ACLU Foundation, 125 Broad St., 18th Fl., New York, NY 10004. You may also give online here.
Can you send a speaker to my event?
Due to demand, we may be unable to send a speaker, but please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org with a description of your event, date, and location.
Can you share my event on your social media channels?
Unfortunately, we cannot promote or endorse your event, fundraiser, or auction.
Can you provide my guests with tax receipts for their donations?
For any gift made directly to the ACLU Foundation, we will provide an acknowledgement and tax receipt. For any gift made to the ACLU, we will send an acknowledgement. If your guest does not make a gift directly to the ACLU or ACLU Foundation, we are unable to provide an acknowledgment or tax receipt.
My nonprofit is organizing the event/auction/fundraiser. Are there legal implications we should consider?
We cannot provide you with tax or legal advice. We encourage you to consult tax laws, solicitation laws, and other rules that may apply to your organization, as well as to consider how you will properly acknowledge gifts and issue tax receipts, among other considerations that may apply to you.
Thank you for your interest in donating a portion of proceeds to the ACLU! We’re grateful that you’d like to share our mission with your customers.
If you are an individual producing an independent project, below are some important guidelines to consider before beginning your promotion:
- To comply with BBB regulations, retailers donating a share of sales are required to disclose to customers the exact amount of those proceeds that will be donated to the charity at the point of sale. For example, “$5 per item sold will be donated to the ACLU” or “10% of gross sales will be donated to the ACLU.”
- You are welcome to use our name in carrying out a promotion. However, if customers might mistake your business or promotion to be affiliated with the ACLU in any way, please include a disclaimer indicating that you are not an affiliated entity.
- We regret that the ACLU cannot promote or otherwise endorse your product.
- Use of the ACLU’s logo requires a written agreement. Please contact email@example.com if you’d like to discuss logo usage, but please be aware that we can only allow logo usage for a limited number of large or high-impact campaigns.
For inquiries regarding brand partnerships, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that due to volume, we are not able to respond to all requests.